CHAPTER 17

"Finally, you're back~" Sunoo groans, pointing at me. I wave slightly, my heart racing as I look between Sunghoon and Heeseung. They're still mad at each other. "Now, shall we give each other our gifts now?"

Everyone seems to agree, making me nod slowly as well. Sunoo exchanges his with Jungwon—which confuses me. Didn't Sunghoon have Jungwon?

Jay gives his present to Sunoo, who gasps dramatically and takes it. What a kid. Heeseung gives his small gift to Sunghoon—and between us all, we feel the tension between the two. Jungwon goes next, giving his present to Jay. Then, it's my turn. I give millions of gifts to him, causing him to smile.

"Wow, spoiled much..."

"Shut up Sunoo, you got a gift," I threaten, frowning. I step back before Sunghoon goes, hesitating. He turns my way, giving me something.

"Here," He mutters, side-eyeing Heeseung. "This is for you." I'm speechless between his light lie, nodding to him before Ni-Ki gives his to Heeseung. 

"Shall we open them now?" Jungwon suggests, causing us to nod. I slowly opened the small case. There lays an expensive necklace, a pearl-embedded necklace with a heart in the middle. I flush, my body heating up.

"Wow, hyung!" Ni-Ki points at the necklace, everyone glimpsing my way. "Isn't that an expensive necklace? Wow Iseul, you're so lucky..."

I take a glance towards Heeseung—who clenches his fists around the bag Ni-Ki gave him. 

I don't want them to be like this—in fact, I don't want to be fought over. I don't want to be someone's love interest if it means I'm breaking up a band piece by piece.

"Do you like it?"Sunghoon grins softly, patting my head. "It took a while, but I hope this is fine."

"Yeah! Um... thanks," I awkwardly reply, blinking. "This gift is quite kind... despite your normal personality."

"Shut up," He huffs, crossing his arms. We continue to walk around the mall for a few more hours—but I'm still losing my mind. I trail behind the group for my own mental health, walking slowly as I see them in the distance. Things wouldn't be the same if I picked one and left out another. Things wouldn't be the same if I chose neither. I can't choose both even if I tried—I can't be selfish.

There are so many ways I messed up this friendship—all because I took a liking towards Jake. I know Heeseung's secrets, and I know Sunghoon has a crush on me. I'm taking up a burden on my shoulders because of this—and I don't know how to lift it off.

I don't even want to talk with Heeseung tonight.

softie jungwon
Hey, I see you trailing behind.

Are you okay?

advice giver
yes I'm ok :)

softie jungwon
Shut up.

You're rooming with me tonight
aren't you.

advice giver
yes pls :)

softie jungwon
Okay, I'll tell Jay hyung
to room with Heeseung for tonight.

advice giver
thanks ily

softie jungwon
ilyt, if you need to
just go back to the hotel

I'll tell them you weren't feeling it
today.

advice giver
okay, I'll be in my hotel room

just tell me when you all are done :)

softie jungwon
ok bye!!

I close my eyes before heading the other way—back to the entrance where I get on the next bus back to the hotel. I rub my temples on the elevator up—and collapse on the bed in the hotel room. I don't even know what to think, how to feel, what to say. My stomach feels like it's going to pop, and my heart is telling me to run.

My head is throbbing because of the millions of questions that are flowing through my mind—and the fault that I've created because of a mistake I should've fixed. I grab a beer from the mini-fridge that we've kept this morning, leaning against the cabinet as I drink it down.

It pounds my head even further, but at least it's calmed my thoughts.

Finally, hours pass by and Jungwon texts me that they're back, so I gather all my stuff and take it out in the hall. By the time I exit the room, they all come out in a conversation. "Oh, there you are!" Jay smiles as I simply smile back—exchanging keycards with him. "Enjoy having your own bed, I surely won't."

"Huh?" Heeseung questions, looking my way—but at the end of it, I can't even look him in the eye. "Why are you switching rooms tonight? Did something happen?" He grabs my shoulder and I briefly shrug it off, trying to enter Jungwon's room.

"Iseul-"

"I think that's enough questions for a Christmas day," Sunghoon intervenes, putting his arm in front of Heeseung. I watch them carefully, seeing the tension in each glare. "You can be patient enough to wait for her, right? Or is that something you still need to work on?" 

Everyone is speechless before I walk into the room, Jungwon following me in before slamming the door behind him. We hear some light commotion before the hallways are clear—everyone is back in their rooms. "What the hell is going on with them, Jae Iseul?"

"You think I know? God, oh I must if I caused all this crap," I breakdown, sitting on the bed as I tousle my hair. "I didn't ask to be someone's love interest— and I- I didn't want to break up his band. I didn't ask to have someone worry for me and love because I knew it would end up like this!" I inhale sharply as Jungwon paces around the room, trying to think.

"What exactly... happened."

"They fought. They argued because you were right—Sunghoon loves me. Heeseung's jealous because we were each other's secret Santa but I spilled that Heeseung switched with me out of jealousy. Then I hear Sunghoon talk to him about how he's waited his whole life for me—and that he's drunk on a feeling that isn't loving—about someone he doesn't even seem to know."

"The thing is—who do you love?" Jungwon points at me as if I'd know the damn answer, causing me to cry. "I know you don't know. I know you're unsure if you're still committed to loving Jake hyung but... you're going to have to choose eventually—and it's best to choose the one your heart loves instead of your damn head."

I'm speechless hearing his words, stressing me out. "I don't know, God!—I wish I knew. There are so many things I want to yell, so many things I want to say—but knowing I could be the reason your band disbands—I'm going to shut myself up."

"You can't be like this forever, Iseul!" He yells at me, lecturing me. "One day, you're going to have to confront how you feel. One day, you're going to have to tell one that you're not interested!—"

"And until that day... I will keep running away." I whisper, clenching my fists. "I just want to escape, Jungwon. I want to run back to school behind those closed classroom doors, in my apartment."

"You're going home tomorrow—deal with it then," Jungwon whispers, sitting next to me and embracing me. "For now, you need to rest. I'll see you tomorrow morning?"

"...Yes."

No.

"Okay, then rest. See you tomorrow."

"See you."

I won't see you. 

"Bye!"

"Bye..."

Goodbye... until classes start again.