CHAPTER 45

"I told you..."

"You deserve better."

His words seek refuge in my head, my fists clenching as I turn away. Sunghoon starts glaring at Jake, grabbing my arm. However, Jake doesn't hesitate to do the same, getting us entangled in our own story of "affairs."

I sniffle, looking down as Jake sighs. He bends down, wiping my tears as I can't even beg to move away anymore. It hurt.

It hurt knowing that he was right.

But maybe it was better, not for Heeseung and Ji-Hun—

But he also deserved better—just for himself.

Gosh, these thoughts are so intimidating. I told myself I'd be stronger, but it seems I've lost that battle once again. "Iseul?"

Heeseung's voice resounds as we get caught up in the same book but a different storyline—with the two-second leads fighting against the main lead this time. It was awfully cliche, but understanding that this was a problem was the main issue. It's not long before—like clockwork—the rest of them come after hearing the commotion, seeing my teary eyes.

"Goddamnit," Jay mumbles, sighing. "We're late."

"Iseul!" Heeseung finally pulls me away from Sunghoon and Jake, causing me to sniffle and turn his way. "Iseul—"

"Please, please—" I mumble, shaking my head. "Stop saying my name like that."

"Please don't misunderstand, you and I both know it was a mistake that she kissed me—"

"I know, I know," I utter, chuckling to myself. "But it certainly feels like... you're uncertain, you know?"

"What?" He questions me, worry rising in his eyes. "Love, you misunderstood. I know I was hesitant, I know I promised you so much, and I still keep them, but—"

"But what?" I sniffle, blinking slightly. "I don't really want to hear your excuses right now, nor do I want to do this in front of a crowd; so here—"

Forcibly opening his palm, I hand him the box, nodding. "Whenever you're actually ready to talk—whenever you have gotten your crap together and aren't hesitant, please come find me. I don't think we should talk as of now."

"Are you saying—"

"No, I'm not breaking up with you—" I pause, gulping. "—I just want you to be certain before you decide to love me... because I don't want to play replacement any more."

I give him one last smile before turning away and shoving past the band, taking off my mask and the tie in my hair. I was so over it.

So, so over it.

Jungwon watches me pack my things, Soo-Ri scratching her head as I hand Jungwon the car keys. "Make sure my baby isn't scratched—and if I come back to see her bruised, I'll bruise you even more."

"Yes, ma'am!" They synchronize, bowing."

"But... noona—"

"I told you not to call me that!"

"Ah, Iseul..." I know he's just saying noona because he knows I wouldn't want to hear the constant whine of my name right now. "Do you have to leave? We have our audition coming up... and it would be great if you could just... cheer us up!"

"Mr. Leader, shouldn't that be your line of work?" I laugh, tilting my head back. "I'm joking—but I think you can handle it. You've done great things, Jungwon—and you! Jungwon... you are a "great thing." So, cheer up! Even if I'm not around, I know you will all become trainees."