CHAPTER 42

(RUSHED FILLER CHAPTER, APOLOGIES)

It's the time of the gig, and guess what?—Sunghoon is nowhere to be found.

This time, there has never been this big a crowd—maybe because the band is finally making a comeback since January. However, I sit with the crowd and Soo-Ri, overhearing many overlapping conversations about my boyfriend, his mistakes, and the rest of the band going forward. Sure, it was quite traumatic to hear, considering that my boyfriend had dealt his cards, but what would change? It was all in the past, anyways.

A hand sends shivers down my spine, a clearing of a male's throat causing me to look their way. Heeseung smiles, joined by Jungwon, the crowd going silent before screaming once again. It's quite respectable that they don't crowd around him, but he is still popular despite having me as his girlfriend. Exactly as it sounds, I should be in the spotlight. (Kidding.)

"Sunghoon's not here still—" The worried boy checks his time, the leader clearing his throat as well. "—And the show starts in five minutes. Iseul, would you..."

"Absolutely not," I frown, shaking my head. "It happened once, it will not be happening again!"

"Iseul, this is really important, and I wish Sunghoon could be here, but I can't play without a bass," Jungwon begs, Heeseung nodding. "He taught you the comeback song before we had departed. It's a necessity that we play it first—I promise we'll adjust some things according to where Sunghoon may be at this moment, but right now, we need a bass."

I bite my lip in hesitance, checking my phone. He was right, no Sunghoon to be seen. No callbacks, no texts, nothing. So, as the good fake sister I am, I nod, finally agreeing to be the stand-in once more.

First, it was Jungwon's guitar, now Sunghoon's guitar...

I didn't even know properly how to play bass. All it was... was a guitar. Right?

Ah, whatever. 

If I screw up, pray for me.

I grab the bass from the instrument stand, shivering as this new instrument shakes me to the core. However, before I could try to clear out the cheering, someone grabs my hand, pulling me back.

There Jake stands, holding his guitar. He smiles, shaking my hand slightly. "I'll switch with you, Iseul."

"Huh?" I question, widening my eyes. The other five watch, interested in a drama that shouldn't be happening. "No, Jake, it's alright—"

"No, seriously," He chuckles, taking it off of my shoulders and handing me his. "I can play bass... and to umm—avoid the unnecessary risks, just play guitar. I'll guide you through the chords. Just stick by me."

"Oh, okay," I don't think it's anything more than a kind gesture, but with Heeseung wrapping his arm around my shoulder, his eye gaze that meets mine—it was obvious that there was an ulterior motive.

"I'll also stick around," Heeseung nods, making Jake lick his lips softly. The puppy can only agree, sighing before we all enter the stage. Hopefully, Sunghoon will be here. So, as the gig starts and people scream, I keep my head turned to avoid light speculation—even when everyone already knows me.

Facing Sunoo, we start strong. After the first performance, it only got easier—there were solo performances (to which I fangirled over my own boyfriend... can't believe I have him all to myself.) However, life was against me, and apparently Sunghoon and Jake had a duet.

Knowing absolutely nothing while getting on that stage, I sit with Jake—holding a mic. He quickly points to the song name—and my eyes sparkle knowing the whole song. Jake starts to play his violin, queueing me in.