CHAPTER 19

"Wake up!" 

"She sleeps like a bear during hibernation."

"You know, I personally have to wake her off to drive me to school," Soo-Ri huffs, making me groan as I close my ears with my pillow. They're so loud! Can't you see I'm trying to contemplate whether to go find Heeseung or not? 

Right, they can't. They aren't the narrator, sadly.

"I'm awake, just shut up!" I exclaim, whining. "If you're going somewhere, I'm not coming with you! I'm tired!" 

"We weren't going to take you anyways," Father hisses as he opens the door, causing me to scoff before I instantly turn my head his way, grouchy. "We're going to take your sister to the bakery downtown. Do you want anything for breakfast?"

"No, I'm going outside for a walk in a little bit, thank you though," I smile, turning over. 

"Okay. Stop thinking about those men, okay? They're worthless—" Father says, making me turn his way. "If they don't work out—well, you have women."

"Dad," I warn, pointing to the door. He cackles before he leaves my room, closing the door behind him. In a few seconds, they leave the house, leaving me alone in the vacancy of my thoughts. I check my phone—no messages. Good. 

Ok, no it's not. I would've expected more from Heeseung—is he still hurting about me leaving our shared room? He couldn't be, right?

Whatever, I need to touch some grass. I'm overthinking this.

So, I get up and change into something more... casual— I guess. I looked like a total mess, but at this point, I'd doubt someone would say anything about it. Tying my hair up, I try to reassure myself that I'll be okay in the mirror—but as this ponytail continues to stay high, the self-confidence stands low.

I hum softly, holding my bag. I momentarily check inside—seeing the small casing of the sweater. I frown, knowing that it'll be a while until I get to give this to him. I never even got to find Sunghoon anything. No, I came out here for a normal walk, not for myself to get tied into more knots like this.

So, I continue strutting up the neighborhood with my high tops, wearing my pride on my back. Finally, I reach my school—the high school that's filled the worst four years of my life, but something about those four years is something I'll never forget. I got to meet my old friends, the people who once cherished me with all they got—until they had to go to college. We don't even meet up anymore, but I will never forget it.

I go up to the gate, sighing. "Jae Iseul? Is that you?" I turn my head to an old familiar voice, gasping when I see my history teacher.

"Mr. Jung!" We giggle as we come into contact, hugging each other while we pat each other's back. "I haven't seen you in so long! How's the university going?"

"Way better than high school, but I have to admit—it's hard."

"Is it better than your favorite teacher?" He asks, causing me to dramatically be offended.

"Of course not!" We laugh before he opens the gate, allowing both of us to enter the empty field. "God, I miss this place. I remember all the times I had to run around and escape Mr. Moon."

"Your physical ed teacher cut you no slack—maybe that's why you still hate the gym," Mr. Jung sighs, hands behind his back. "By the way, how's Sunghoon? Are you both still friends?"

"Yes, we are," I grin, shrugging. "He's still a music major—he's enjoying it well."

"Oh look!" Mr. Jung points to the window—my favorite window. "Shall we go inside the classroom?"