Part 20

The following day we are once again on the road, travelling through small towns and villages, performing at each stop on the way to our next major city, Leforth to the far north of the country, our final Aleti destination before we go across the border into Karhaner. 

It takes ten days to travel from Ameve to LeForth and I think they may well be the happiest ten days of my life. I'm no longer an outsider but a true member of the group. I don't need to ask what to do each day as I seamlessly fit into the routine of packing up, travelling, caring for the horses, setting up camp again, cooking and working backstage whenever we get the chance to do shows. Pepe even lets me drive the wagons for a bit though only on straight easy roads. I feel like I've been with the Gallavanties forever rather than just six short weeks. 

I spend every moment that I can with Sam and though we have to put up with endless teasing from the others, I don't really mind and find it easy to join in with the banter, giving back as good as I get. Pepe has written two characters for me and although at the moment they are only small parts, I insist on practising everyday, learning my lines and perfecting every moment so I'm ready for my debut in Leforth. Risa has already made my costumes and I can't help but keep trying them on in excitement. 

Dav continues to teach me self-defense and when I manage to knock Sam off his feet and pin him to the floor I leap up and down cheering, whilst all of the Gallavanties applaud. When I lie awake at night I'm constantly amazed by my luck in finding this family. This is my life now and I love it. I don't ever want it to change.

The day before we reach Leforth we can't help but notice how busy the roads appear with people heading in the opposite direction. Most are young men, carrying packs and travelling in groups. When Dav returns from chatting with one such group he says that they're soldiers from the Leforth garrison who are being transferred to Albeck. 

For a moment I question this action. Why would soldiers be needed in Albeck which borders Cobback? Is there trouble brewing between ourselves and our old allies who we've just abandoned in our deal with Navas. I can't believe that there would be. But I've not been in court for weeks and don't know how the landscape has changed since the deal with Navas was signed. I've heard nothing about it since leaving Carrard and whilst I assume it has gone ahead as Lord Fagan planned I hope that our friendship with Cobback has not been totally lost. I try not to think about it too much, telling myself there is nothing I can do, but the issue still bothers me and I'm still thinking about it later that night as we eat our final dinner outside Leforth. We will reach the city in the morning.

As the other's drift off to bed eventually it's just me and Sam, snuggled under a blanket together, staring at the dying embers of the fire, in comfortable silence.

"You know you asked me about my childhood? Back in Ameve."

"Yeah" I say suddenly much more awake.

"It's not that I'm embarrassed about where I come from or anything. It's not a secret, I just don't like talking about it and especially with you. I don't want you to think less of me when you know everything."

"Sam..."

"I know, I know. Stupid, you're not like that."

"You don't have to tell me anything Sam."

"I know, but see when I'm talking to you I wanna know everything there is to know about you, but how can I ask that if I don't do the same. Ain't fair. And anyhow I trust you. I want to tell you."

Snuggling closer so Sam knows that I'm there no matter what he tells me I wait for him to begin.

"So you already know I was born in Ameve. Never knew who my parents were. I was abandoned on the steps of St Martin's church same day I was born. Got sent to St Martin's orphanage, then the Ameve youth hospice when St Martin's closed down, think I was about four. Stayed there a couple years but it was horrible. So many kids that I usually ended up sleeping on the floor. The older kids bullied us, stole our food, beat us and the staff did nothing. They didn't care so long as they got paid. Survival of the fittest is what they always said. Life's tough so you might as well get used to it. They sent us out to work down at the fish markets, gutting fish for 3 spens a day, but we never got to keep any of it. That's when I started doing my own thing. I'll be honest it weren't exactly legal. Pickpocketing and stealing. I used to steal bottles of wine from the docks, then I'd water them down and sell 'em on. Sometimes I'd get enough to buy some food but if I didn't then I'd steal that too. I did whatever to survive. I'm not proud of it but that's the truth and at the time I just didn't wanna go back to the orphanage. Then one day I picked the wrong pocket, or right pocket as it turns out. Guess who?" Sam turns to me with a smile.