Money Can Buy Happiness, So Let's Sell Misery

Summary: Nightmare decides to take a more "scholarly" approach to spread negativity.

Cross, Killer, and Horror felt a joint wave of confusion as they reported to the AU and the location Nightmare had summoned them to

Cross, Killer, and Horror felt a joint wave of confusion as they reported to the AU and the location Nightmare had summoned them to. The confusion only grew when nothing negative stood out in the surroundings. In fact, one could almost say it looked peaceful- which was not something the trio imagined after their boss proclaimed he found a new, "legal" way to inflict negativity upon the masses. Thus, leading each Sans to blink uncertainly at the scene.

Under clear blue skies and circled by a vast parking lot/forest sat a large three-story, red-brick facility. A freshly minted sign that spelled (in a generic horror movie font) "Fear University" hung above the front most entrance as well as on the sides of the structure; sprinkled throughout the area were other similarly styled buildings.

Nightmare soon emerged from beyond the glass, push-pull doors, causing nonexistent eyebrows to raise. Their terror-inspiring leader, dressed in a suave dress shirt and pants, greeted, "Evening, boys. I take it you didn't have too much trouble finding your way here."

Most of them nodded in response. However, a specific eyelightless skeleton bearing a target-shaped soul deviated slightly.

"Yeah... Where is here exactly?" Killer asked while shifting his skull left to right, examining the area.

"Here-" Nightmare gestured toward the main building, stating proudly, "is my new college."

"We're in the middle of nowhere, and you build a school here!" Battle-worn hands motioned at the barely visible signs of civilization (buildings, lights, etc.) sitting beyond the horizon.

That prompted the dark lord to roll his cyan eyelight. "Of course. I wanted the optimal location to make sure the students feel as isolated from their loved ones as possible. The fact there are long-distance commutes for those who live off-campus is merely a bonus."

"Why a... school?" Horror drawled, lightly scratching at the edges of his skull injury with a perplexed frown.

"Because my brother just opened a therapist office called 'Find The Rainbow' in the Omega Timeline to help monsters that have lost their AU process their grief; healthily. Meaning multiversal negativity is lowering far too much for my liking since non-locals have begun visiting that accursed place." Tendrils lashed irritable behind Nightmare, and a snare marred his face as he spoke.

Killer chuckled. "So Dream boy has gotten into the business of selling happiness? Guess we have our work cut out for us."

"Dude, doesn't that contradict the phrase 'money can't buy happiness?'" Cross said, furrowing his nonexistent brows before turning to the more negativity-laden of the pair.

"Yes, and no. Money is incapable of purchasing 'happiness' in certain circumstances. However, the opposite is also true. People can buy things that make themselves or the ones around them happy, and depressed people can get therapy- from my brother." The last three words were laced in spite.

And, though the explanation quelled the curiosities of two of his followers, one remained unsatisfied.

Horror crossed his arms, grumbling, "Still... doesn't explain the school."

"Schools are nature's most advantageous ground for brewing misery and the like. Between student debt, stress-inducing classes, surprise quizzes/tests, and mandatory overpriced textbooks, there will be many opportunities to harvest negativity in a place such as this." Nightmare added, rubbing his hands together like a standard cartoon villain. "In addition to all those wondrous factors: the cafeteria food will meet all nutritional standards but taste utterly terrible, all three of you are to be assigned as teachers, and we will have the worst student counselor."

"Dibs on teaching the biology class!" Kill shouted, promptly vanishing into the building to create whatever terrors he had in mind for the curriculum. No doubt something that involved knives.

Nightmare sighed and followed after him, leaving Horror and Cross alone.

The former took one look at his companion, shrugging, "Well... I'm goin' to the cafeteria."

"Didn't Nightmare say the food is terrible?"

"One: No such thing as terrible food, only... unappreciated. Two: Don't care. Food is food."