Inktober Shorts (15) - Unchangeable

Summary: Some things don't change.

Geno leaned back against the soft, luxurious black cushions covering the couch in his and Reaper's spacious living room

Geno leaned back against the soft, luxurious black cushions covering the couch in his and Reaper's spacious living room. The nearby fireplace contained a blazing flame to help fight off the October chill seeping into the mansion. Though, it did little to dissuade him from acquiring a cozy dark grey blanket and draping it across his legs/lap.

Further adding to the nigh wintery mood, a steaming cup of hot chocolate rested atop the plain square coaster on the dark oak coffee table in front of him. Beside it laid an interesting novel he picked up from the multiversal market called "Lunar Days."

It had gained quite a loyal following. Despite being a blatant parody of the ongoing war between Dream and Nightmare. But, perhaps, that's what made it so good: being able to see a different, faux version of the Sanses claiming to protect their livelihood (as well as the ones threatening it) in wacky situations otherwise considered unusual and entertaining.

He was excited to see if it lived up to the hype. And the supposed drama it contained.

Geno eagerly retrieved the book and flipped it open to the first page, eyelights scanning the incredibly well-written text. If the smile creeping up his jaws from reading the beginning paragraph alone was any indication, he would be investing a lot more G into collecting the rest of the series.

His phalanges quickly flipped the page in under a minute's time. Fully engrossed in the tale, he pulled his feet onto the couch and-

An electronic, sci-fi-esque ringtone suddenly blasted throughout the room, causing him to jolt while fumbling with the novel as not to drop it.

Once calming himself, the bloody glitch closed the book, dog-earing his page, and released a heavy sighed.

"Of course, moments after I sit down to relax..." He grumbled. All the while, returning the riveting tale in his hands back to its place beside his hot chocolate.

Next, he hovered the noisy rectangular device to his waiting hand using blue magic and checked the screen.

A frown tugged at his teeth.

The name and number proved the caller to be none other than his timeline alternate, Sci. Odd considering the young adult hardly ever called during work hours unless he was taking a break. Or something went wrong.

Like the time Classic volunteered to help test something and ended up nearly hurtling into the sun.

He clicked the "accept call" button and lifted the device to his ear. Or the general area in which it would be.

"Geno," The scientist immediately cried. His voice sounded miserable, carrying the undeniable sound of defeat, shame, and fear. "I'm s-sorry! Reaper stopped by while I was working on a new project, and it was shiny, so he-"

All thoughts regarding his previous irritation vanished, quickly replaced by worry and the like. Geno straightened in his seat, stiff and alert.

"Woah! Calm down." He said, adding the most vital question when Sci's quick speech trailed off into panicked breaths, "Is he alive and uninjured?"

"Theoretically, but the project was a prototype and extremely unstable, so it did change a few things-"

"Sci, a simple yes or no will suffice."

There was a stagnant pause on the other end, followed by shuffling and what sounded like glass crashing onto tile. The Sans eventually quietly spoke, "...yes, he is alive and unharmed."

An invisible weight rose from his soul, and Geno could feel his tense shoulders and bones slack. "Good. Now, do you need me to come to get him?"

"Yes. I think that might be for the best."

"Okay. I'll be there in a minute." The bloody glitch ended the call before standing up and teleporting.

When he landed, he found himself right outside of the massive, bustling lab in the AU's Hotland.

Teleporting inside would be more convenient. However, there were anti-teleportation measures to prevent monsters like Nightmare from easily breaking in. Thus, making it impenetrable via normal Sans magic.

Meaning he always got to take the long way during his visits.

Fun.

Ignoring how the busy residents briefly halted their tasks to glance at him questioningly, he walked toward the entrance's two large metal doors. They automatically opened once he was within range of their sensors.

Inside, the building looked a lot different compared to how it got remodeled later in his own timeline. After Gaster fell. The floor plan was more open, with a place for guests to wait, fake plants, and a few water coolers strewn about; the loft where Alphys generally kept her personal effects (bed, shelves of manga, etc.) was gone. As was her (creepy) desk of many cameras and monitors, and in its place sat a reception desk occupied by a bored rock elemental.

Heads turned as he stepped further into the building, eventually coming to a halt in front of the elevator.

A confident, grey cat monster wearing a pristine lab coat and an assistant's badge approached, questioning sternly, "Excuse me, sir, what do you think you are-"

Geno flashed a purple and golden badge displaying the Royal Family's insignia. The color promptly drained from the feline's face.

Fighting back a smirk, he stood tall and clearly stated, "I'm here to see Sans."

The lab assistant gulped fearfully and quickly nodded, soon nervously escorting him through the labyrinthine hallways to the closed door of Sci's personal lab.

His left hand pushed open the door while his feet carried him across the tile and into the space.

Sci swiftly jumped up from his seat at his desk and apprehensively shuffled closer.

Meanwhile, Geno examined the state of the normally well-kempt room.

Papers, both torn and whole, were littered all over the floor alongside jagged glass shards. Sat on the stark white counter at the back of the room was a skeletal feline garbed in a dark cloak, bearing two small fluffy black wings on its back.

He paused. His eyelights fixed on the strange creature. "Is that..."

"Reaper, yes." His younger self answered, giving a small nod.

Geno hummed, squinting in mock scrutiny. "I don't see any difference."

"He's a cat!" Sci shouted, waving his hands toward death god.

A brow raised in response. "So? He was practically already one before."

"How?!"

The bloody glitch leveled the other an expression that couldn't get interpreted as saying anything other than "you can't be serious."

Taking a deep breath, he coolly stated, "He likes to cuddle with me when it's the most inconvenient, creates unholy noises during the later hours of the night, makes it his business to be in the exact same room as me, and follows me into the bathroom for no logical reason other than to play with the toilet paper while I'm taking a shower."

As if to validate his explanation, Reaper gracefully hopped off his perch and confidently strut over to Geno, long bony tail held high and slightly wiggling in the air. Then he proceeded to rub his small cat-like body against his husband's legs.

The seemingly immortal skeleton watched, unamused, blinking down at the other. "You're shameless. You know that, right?"

The deathly cat repeated his previous action, giving a confirmational meow.