Sizzlin' Fries

Summary: Dream wishes he could get greetings like that...

Delicious scents wafted through the air as Dream busied himself in front of the stove, using a pair of plastic-tipped tongs to flip his current target

Grease fizzled in the pan, splattering across the stovetop when the battered chicken strips hit the oil once more.

They were the meal's main dish, but that did not mean there weren't ample sides available to accompany them.

On the marble counter behind him sat an array of piping hot foods ready to be plated: steamed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus), air-fried zucchini/yellow squash, creamy macaroni and cheese, and battered, seasoned, and oil-fried french fries.

The corners of his teeth quirked up at the thought of his culinary accomplishments.

It was rare to get opportunities to make a nice, home-cooked meal considering his hectic schedule spreading positivity, fighting multiversal crime, and that all.

He wanted it to be perfect.

Plus, hopefully, the meal would be a pleasant surprise for his equally hard-working husband.

Feeling determination rise in his soul, he resumed his task. Promptly plucking the crispy chicken out of the oil and placing it upon a plate, then setting it alongside the other dishes before starting a second batch.

After several minutes, a loud click - no doubt caused by the noisy front door - sounded somewhere beyond the kitchen doorway, followed by Ink's near-silent footfall. (Likely a perk of walking everywhere shoeless.)

"Oh! Why, hello there." The husky, sensual rumble echoed from behind, sending a chill down the yellow-clad guardian's spine.

The tongs in his hand quickly found refuge on the countertop, and the burner's heat got lowered as he pivoted on his heels to warmly welcome his lover hom-

A sultry smirk laid on Ink's jaws, his mismatched eyelights fixed on the generous bowl of fries that had been added to the counter some time ago.

Dream frowned, shoulders sagging. "Did you just... seductively greet the fries?"

"Yup! They're looking extra crispy today." Ink cheerily replied, giving a thinly sliced fry a loving stroke.

"So, what? The fries are pretty enough to receive a greeting like that, but not me?" The Guardian of Positivity huffed.

"No, of course not! You're prettier than a potato!"

A yellow flush accompanied by a shy smile bloomed across Dream's skull in an instant. "Aw. Ink, that's the sweetest thing you've ever-"

"But only slightly."

His blushing smile swiftly vanished, replaced by an unamused glower. "I hate you."

"I know," The artist said with an unperturbed grin, soon holding up a tail end of the beige fabric around his neck. "It's written on my scarf!"