Chapter Four ✓

"So are you ready?" Lilith asked.

"As ready as I could ever be," I said. I was freaking out, I was going to become fae. I was going to change my being.

"Well then I'm going to get you to remove your clothes, you can keep your undergarments on. But everything else off." Lilith said.

I was taken aback at her words, I was to undress in front of them? I started to internally freak out. Dimitri whispered something to Annista, her only response was a slight nod then her and Dimitri walked out of the new hut. I mentally thanked Dimitri for leaving.

This one was made not by hay and logs but stones and bricks. There was a huge black marble slab in the centre of the room. Veins of gold and white traced the surface. Splitting like hairs over the cool marble. A basin of water sat in the corner, empty space underneath it, probably where you'd put coal to heat the water.

Lilith was turned away from me, preparing herbs and small vials of liquids. I turned my back and stripped off my hole ridden shirt exposing my stomach and back. Small goosebumps rose up on my arms, making the soft hair stand straight up.

I then moved down to my pants, they were made of thin brown canvas. I shucked them off and threw them in a pile with the shirt. I was now only left in my undergarments, both dirty and stained.

"Done," I mumbled, crossing my arms over my chest and pressing my legs together. Trying to conceal as much skin as possible.

Lilith turned around her long black hair in a ponytail, pulled away from her sharp facial feature. She was holding a bunch of herbs, all tied together with a red ribbon.

"What are those for?" I asked nervously.

"These are just to make your transformation easier," she said, holding up the bunch. "You can just sit on the slab for a moment while I prepare the mixture."

I hopped up on the slab and winced at the sharp cold, the marble was freezing. Like a cold winter's night. Lilith walked over to the huge tub and started a fire underneath. She threw in some of the herbs and vials making the water smell like a bathhouse. Full of essential oils and perfumes.

She turned around and smiled at me. "It's time for your transformation."

I heaved out a breath, this was it. This was the last time I'd be a human, I'm becoming fae. I stepped towards the tub. The fumes of the hot steam and herbs swirling into the air.

I stepped into the water, hissing through my teeth at the heat. It felt like I was stepping into an actual flame. I felt hands rest on my stiff shoulders, lightly pushing me down. Down into the depths of the water.

"Lie on your back for me," Lilith said, from above.

I stretched out my legs, the basin long enough for me to extend fully. My feet not even close to touching the end.

"You ready?" Lilith asked once more. I nodded.

Those soft hands becoming firm and strong. Pushing my head down below the surface. I could barely get a breath in a full breath before I was submerged fully. I struggled against those bindings. Holding me down, keeping me from breathing.

My lungs beat against my chest, yearning for air. For a breath to refill them. My throat burned like one of the fiery coals beneath me.

I fought against the urge to suck in, to let that scorching water fill my throat. I tried to thrash out of the iron grip, but it was like fighting against a boulder. Lilith's hands refused to move from my body. Bubbles were streaming from my open mouth as I screamed under the water. My eyes bulged, wanting to pop out of their sockets. My vision got fuzzy from the lack of oxygen.