Chapter Ten - ✓

"Come on, we have to get there before the queen gets up," Aria said. I took one of the plates off the counter, Aria taking the other.

I followed Aria through the dark halls. We went into a different part of the palace I'd never been to before. The halls are busy, busling with maids, butterler, and guards.

We headed to a room with four guards, all decked in heavy armour and weapons.

"We have breakfast for the queen," Aria said. One of the guards took the lids off the platter that Aria was holding. Checking to see if anything was hidden. He then checked my plate, finding nothing but steaming food. Wrapped crepes, sliced fruit, and warm tea.

"Okay, go in," one of the guards said. Opening the door. I had to mask my awe, their room was huge. Splattered in fineries and riches. A large stained glass window was set on the opposite wall, the sun casting colour shadows across the floor.

Wardrobes and art across the walls. A large bed set in the floor.

A sleeping shape was sprawled across the mattress, her hair a dusty pink. The queen, I could kill her right there and now. Aria felt my shift in mood, she glanced at me slightly shaking her head.

I followed her over to the large table and set them down, and spun my heel. I bumped into a solid chest. I yelped, stumbling back.

My body fell hard against the floor. I looked up, my eyes meeting deep purple ones. Lucian's.

He was wearing a simple black tunic, with a low v. Showing his sculpted chest.

"Did you come back to beg again, love?"he smirked. He tilted my chin up with his knuckle. I turned my head to the side, making his hand leave my face.

I got up and shuffled past him, I was free of contact for seconds before I was pushed against the wall. My face against the wood, squished into the wall.

His knee was pressed against my thigh. A hand at my neck and back. Keeping me in place.

He leaned into my ear, "don't test me darling." I shivered at his warm breath. "I can be very unforgiving."

"Let me go," I growled.

He pushed me into the wall even harder, making me hiss in pain.

"Lucian?" a muffled voice sounded. The height on my back left, boots lightly hitting the marble floor.

"Yes?" Lucians voice said, it was lighter and more babied.

"I'm hungry," the voice said. It came from the huge bed. The queen was up, this was my que to leave. I shuffled out the door and ran down the hall. Aria was waiting by the turn of the hallway.

"Are you alright?" Aria said, gripping my shoulders.

"Uh yeah I-I'm fine," I said, brushing off the feeling of Lucian.

"Okay let's go," Aria said, still staring at me, wondering what she had just seen.

I was walking through the village, walking towards the war camp. I had borrowed, more like stole, a set of amour. It was the same as all the castle and city's guards. I fit just in. People parted before me, terrified of what could happen if they pissed me off.

A black steel sword swung at my hips, my captis crystal knife hidden in the black metal.

It didn't take me that much of an effort to find the camp, I just had to follow the screams of tourtre. I walked through the dirt roads. The streets became more and more quiet and eerie.

A huge barbed wire fence towered above me. Rolls of sharp wire pieces on the top, to stop someone from climbing over.

I walked to the door of the guards, they didn't stop me from going in. Looking like one of them, blending in.

I was horrified at the sights before me, humans strung up on crosses and hanging from ropes by their ankles and wrists. Dirt, blood, and bruises splattered across their faces and bodies.

Rows of tables and rickety chairs sat in lines, women and children sat at them, also covered in dirt. Chains bound their ankles, leaving their hands free to work on clothing.

Fae guards walked up and down the lines of women and children. Holding bats and swords.

I walked to an end of the tables and leaned to the woman hand sewing what looked like a tunic.

Her hands were shaking, tired and cramping. Her pointer finger on her left hand was clean off. Only a stub of it left.

On her right elbow was a dirty and bloody white band. She was a part of the rebellion.

"Hello?" I asked in a quiet voice. She jumped at my voice, her eyes filled with fear. Her head bowed, not meeting my eyes. But the small glimpse of her eyes seemed in shock. I had realised that all the guards were men, so maybe hearing a woman's voice was a little nerve racking.

"Yes ma'am?" she asked, her voice shaking just as much as her hands.

I reached out a hand, wanting to grasp hers and steady it. She flinched so hard my heart broke for her. The fae were abusing and beating them. They were all scared for their lives.

"I'm sorry," I said, I pulled a small slip of the white fabric out of a kink in my armour.

Her eyes widened, she let out a breath.

"I need you to tell me something," I asked. She nodded, still not looking in my eyes. Keeping the scene going.

"Yes, yes, anything."

Do you know of a Madeline and Talia Everett?" I desperately wanted to see them again. To hold their forms in my arms. I just wanted to know if they were okay.

"Oh we all know of Madeline and Thalia Everett."