Chapter Twelve

"Come on, wake up!" Aria poked me. I groaned, not wanting to sleep more. My already terrible sleep didn't help that I needed to get up before dawn.

"Here I packed you a bag," Aria nudged me.

"Aw, thank you," I sat up and wrapped my hands around her neck. Squeezing her in an embrace.

"You didn't have to."

"Of course I did, you're going away for a couple of days. We need you to be packed. Here's what I packed you." She went on to list clothing items, a hair brush and elastics made out of tight fabric. An extra pair of boots, a sleeping mat and a thin yet warm blanket. A flask to hold water and dried nuts and fruit.

I dressed in simple brown leather high waisted pants, a white long sleeved blouse, and black leather boots. My red crystal necklace hung over the shirt, and my ring entrapped my right pointer finger.

Aria brushed my fluffy hair away from my face, tying it with a black ribbon.

"I think you're ready," she sighed.

"You should probably get going," she huffed out.

"Yeah I'm supposed to be there before the sun rises."

I get up and make my way out of the maid's sleeping quarters and out of the castle. Into the crisp cool air, the wind biting at my cheeks, turning them rosey.

I walked down the hill holding the castle, I walked into the forest. Not wanting to take the path crossing the war camp.

The sky was a beautiful blue, fluffy clouds dotted the sky. The sun in the middle of the sky.

I edged towards the clearing, seeing all ten men there. I didn't see Lucian there yet. I walked into the open space, not making a sound.

One of the men facing me hushed a whisper to the other ones, they looked back at me.

One stepped forwards. "Look babe, if you didn't get the letter you lost yesterday. But if you're here for another reason my bed is always open."

I held back a gag, he was tall but his hair greasy. Upturned nose, a weird lazy eye.

I walked towards him, ready to throw back a comeback to stun him. But then he looked behind me. And he blanched.

A hand wrapped around my stomach from behind. "Thank you for your comment Darwin, but she's already in mine." The voice belonged to the one person I hated most in the goddamned fae world.

Lucian's back was pressed up against me.

"I-I'm sorry sir," he said.

A curl of magic waved towards him, the same power I had felt the day I met him. It was made of pure darkness. Stars and planets combined. I wrapped around his neck and pulled him up.

He trashed and struggled, gasping like a fish away from water. "And I'll need you to apologize to Natallia," he said in a purring voice.

"So-sorry," he gasped. I turned to Lucian. He was staring at the man in the air, a cold angry look in his eyes.

"Lucian," I said. He wouldn't look at me. Like he couldn't or wouldn't listen to me. "Lucian," I said a bit louder. Still not hearing me. "Lucian," I said louder, putting my hand on his chest.

He looked at me, then my hand. I could feel the anger filled heat wafting off of him.

"He said sorry, it's fine," I said quietly. His tendrel snaked back into him, the soldier dropped to the ground. Heaving in deep full breaths.