Chapter Thirty Eight

We had talked to the leader of the small town, and they had agreed to take in the others until they could find suitable homes for them. I had said my final rounds of, 'good lucks' and 'goodbyes'.

It had taken the entire rest of the night to walk to the town, the sun now peaking over the horizon.

"We really do have to get going," Lucian said in a tight voice. I kicked him in the shin as a warning.

"Oh before you go," the leader of the town said. "We have a bag for you guys. For the road."

"For the lov-" Lucian started to grumble but my foot came in contact with his shin once more. Harder this time I heard him grunt in pain.

"Thank you," I smiled warmly at her.

She went to retrieve a bag for behind her, "It has bread, berries, blankets, and some water."

She handed me the leather satchel and I thanked her once more. Lucian, Arthur and I all walked back into the forest. Leaving behind the cute little village.

Once we were out of ear shot from the town Lucian pushed me in the arm. "My shin hurts from you."

"Boo hoo," I mocked him. "Cry me a river."

"Hey! I think you bruised me!" Lucian whined at me.

"You weren't going to be a bitch to someone who was willing to give us food and water," I snapped at him.

I heard a chuckle from beside me and saw Arthur shaking his head and laughing to himself.

"What do you find so funny?" Lucian snapped, well he's now in a bad mood.

He turned to the both of us and looked in between us. "Nothing, it's just something I thought of."

"Fine, then keep it to yourself," Lucian grumbled.

We walked on for a bit not stopping except for when we and Lucian got into a verbal argument. Or we had to drink water to stop ourselves collapsing.

"How far are we away from Aestidel?" I asked Arthur. Sure I had studied the maps but I didn't know the exact distance from Mortem to Aestidel.

"Probably another day's walk," he said looking back at me. "We're pretty close."

"Good, I want to sleep in an actual bed," I grumbled.

"With me?" A seductive voice whispered in my ear.

I rolled my eyes, "hm, no I was thinking of the king of Aestridel."

It was like everything stopped. The birds had stopped their beautiful song. The bugs had stopped dancing. Even the wind stilled to a stop.

"If you fucking sleep with him I will kill everyone I see," I threatened. And I half believed it. Of course I wouldn't sleep with him. Not because of this threat but because of...

Why wouldn't I sleep with him?

Was it because of him?

Because of Lucian.

He was slowly creeping in my mind. Imposiving on my life. My thoughts. My actions.

I know I was pushing away feelings for him, trying to lock them away. But whenever I was around him they resurfaced.

Not just the sexual side of our relationship. But also how banter and jokes. Even our arguments he still has that protective side of him. Willing to do anything for me.

Did I like him?

Or possibly even...

Love.