Chapter Forty Two

"Hey Nat!" a cheery young voice called.

I spun around and smiled widely," Madeline jumped into my arms. Young and athletic and still fit.

"Guess what?" she shouted excitedly.

"What happened?" I grinned at her.

"I learnt how to make tea! With dandelions! And sweet herbs!"

"Oh that sounds delicious! You should make some once we get home!"

Madeline clapped her hands excitedly.

We walked down back allies and dust roads just until we hit the clearing with our small shack. Perfect cyan paint and slanted planks.

Madeline threw open the door and rushed in to cuddle the small baby. "Thalia!" she squecked.

"Careful!" I quickly said. "We don't want to scare her!"

"Sorry!" she whispered.

"Let's just rest, you had a long day," I plopped down next to her and pulled her into a hug. And placing baby Thalia on my lap.

We sat in silence, the small cabin just filled with our small breaths.

"Hey Nat?" a small voice said from my side.

"Yeah?"

"Why did you leave us?"

I stared at her with wide eyes. "What are you talking about? I've always been with you."

She looked up at me, "No, you left me and Thalia."

I looked at her puzzled, "When was this?"

"You abandoned me and Thalia with the Queen."

My heart froze, "I-"

"No! You left us for dead!" she stood up, now older and taller, not the young youthful self she was a couple seconds ago.

"You saw me on that wall! And you didn't help me! You saw me bleeding and dying but you didn't save me!"

I looked around, confused on what was happening, I looked down and saw that baby Thalia wasn't there anymore. But instead she was standing behind Madeline. Both of their faces had changed. Madeline's bloody and sunken. And Thalia's dirty and bruised.

"I meant to save you! I really did!" I cried out.

"But you didn't!" Thalia screamed.

"You killed us. You did." Madeline shouted.

They surged forwards and started pulling at my hair, ripping it out and pummeling me with their fists.

"I'm sorry!" I cried out, tears falling from my eyes.

"You're sorrys mean nothing."

I jolted up from a plush bed. A thin blanket falling off of my body. Sweat coated my skin in a thick layer. My breathing was heavy and loaded.

I frantically looked around the room, it was made of light browns and whites. A ceiling mural of angels flying through the clouds. It was a beautiful room but my panic filled it with darkness.

I saw the door fly open and saw Lucian striding towards me.

"Darling?" he called out.

"Where are we?" I breathed out.

"In the palace. You're safe. I'm here," he pulled me into a hug and calmed my nerves.

"I was back in Morhella."