Chapter 7 - Elevator

"About the match yesterday..."

"...did you land on that spot on purpose?" Todoroki asked intensely. 

Y/n's eyes widened. Was he referring to when she was forced to use her quirk through her back because she'd forgotten that the ground was too hard to summon cactus and roots? 

Strategically, I should probably say yes, but...

"To be honest, no." she answered frankly. "It was a miscalculation." 

The elevator doors opened with a "ding". They were on the ground floor. Todoroki narrowed his eyes at y/n and then looked away.

"Even so," he said quietly, "You were still able to turn the situation around." He glanced at y/n and swiftly looked her up and down. "At least for a moment." He walked through the elevator doors towards the main dorm doors, leaving y/n staring after him in confusion. 

I-... what?

Was that a compliment? Or an insult? ...God, he was difficult to read. There was something about his tone...Y/n clenched her fist. She couldn't just say nothing after that. 

She ran to catch up to Todoroki, who by now was at the main entrance. The crisp morning air stung her cheeks as she closed the door behind her.

"Hey!" Y/n called out, running through the door as Todoroki walked down the steps outside. He turned around, one eyebrow raised.

"Yes?" 

"It's true that you won this time, but... I look forward to a rematch!" smiled y/n with sudden confidence. 

Todoroki started at her again. A hint of a smile reached his face before he turned away and started jogging.

~

Todoroki POV:

Todoroki frowned as he jogged through the path that went around the U.A campus. His thoughts kept going back to the match yesterday. 

Y/n had confirmed his theory that she didn't land on that un-iced spot on purpose. But even so... he had underestimated her. Her sand-based quirk was powerful, and his trap wouldn't have worked if y/n hadn't been exhausted after overusing her quirk... 

He'd continued to think about the match last night, when he was up in his room. There was something bugging him about it. Something about y/n. He'd only met her yesterday but for some reason she stayed on his mind. 

Todoroki didn't even know why he'd gone to the infirmary to see her... Aside from Midoriya, Iida and some others, he didn't hang out much with this classmates. It just wasn't really his thing. 

For some reason he'd felt like the elevator was cramped before. It wasn't a big elevator to begin with. The air felt warm... did he use his damn old man's quirk by accident? The frown on Todoroki's brow deepened as he jogged around a corner on the path. 

Something occurred to him. 

Maybe I was rude to y/n on the elevator. 

Her eyes had widened when talked to her about the match. But then, when she ran up to him and challenged him for a rematch, she'd smiled. That smile...

Todoroki stopped jogging as he reached the dorm. His heart was beating much faster than normal and he was out of breath, which was strange since he jogged around this route most mornings. 

Why was his heart beating so fast? And why did his legs feel weird? He took a few breaths of the fresh morning air. He then realised that he hadn't stretched before he started to jog... he'd been talking with y/n.