Chapter 32 - Confrontation

Todoroki POV

He walked discreetly ahead out of the train station, hearing y/n's anxious steps behind him mixed with the chatter of pedestrians and the honking of car horns on the street. The moon shined brightly above them as the two young heroes in training walked down the street together. Todoroki looked back at y/n to see if she was okay.

"Everything alright?" he asked her in a low voice. She stared back at him, a small smile forming on her concentrated face. She nodded, adjusting her hat over her head as a group of people walked by. He sighed and closed his eyes for a moment as he walked ahead.

I really hope this works. 

Suddenly, his shoulder brushed up roughly against a tall man, knocking the sunglasses y/n gave him off his face. He stepped back to balance himself and felt her hands come up behind his back.

"Sho! You okay?" she whispered worriedly into his ear. He turned to her and nodded and she widened her eyes. "Wait, your eyes! The glasses-" she stopped, looking down at the ground and picked the pair up... only to find that they were completely broken. 

He noticed her face go pale as she stared blankly at the remains of the black tinted glass in her hand, frozen in place as the crowd of people walked around them.

"Y/n, come on!" he whispered, urgency in his voice, tugging at her arm. "We have to go, now!" 

Todoroki lowered his head as he pulled her behind him, quickly dragging her along and turning a corner onto a quieter street, and then another, until eventually they reached a dark alleyway.

He quickly pulled her over behind some large bins for cover, crouching down to hide. After checking to make sure they weren't followed, he turned back to y/n, finding the blank expression from before still on her face. 

Did something happen...? She seems upset about the sunglasses...

"Hey. Y/n, are you okay?" he asked, putting his hands reassuringly on her shoulders. She blinked a few times and looked up at him, as if awoken from a daze. 

"Oh! Y-yeah, I'm fine." she said with a gulp.

"Are you sure?" he asked, narrowing his eyes at her. She looked back at him and nodded feverently, blinking hard.

"Yes." she replied, a little louder this time. 

"... All right." Todoroki nodded back. He looked down at the broken sunglasses, still in her hand. "Sorry about that. I couldn't stop it." 

"No no, it's fine!" she answered, shaking her head. She cleared her throat. "Anyway, these aren't relevant anymore. What matters is that we find Hana." he watched her toss the sunglasses aside.

"Yeah." he nodded, looking up at the night sky. The moon was already out; the rescue mission was probably about to start... He looked back at y/n, furrowing his brows in concentration. "This looks like the older part of downtown... I'm sure that we'll be able to find the warehouse soon."

"Alright..." y/n nodded. She suddenly started pulling her sweater off, to his surprise. Y/n sighed as she started unwrapping her skirt from the sides. 

He felt his face heat up slightly, then shook himself out of it. This is a serious mission, there was no time for these kind of thoughts.

"We can probably take these off now since we're nearby, like you said." she said, tossing her clothes aside. "Oh, and we should probably throw these out, it might be suspicious to leave these out on the street."

"Ah. Yes." he said, snapping out of his daze and fumbling with his hoodie. 

He pulled it and the beanie off, throwing it onto the pile with y/n's clothes. She grabbed the pile and of clothing and tossed them into the trash next to them. Both of them stood up, y/n dusting her hands off. Todoroki stopped and stared, quietly admiring her.