Chapter 20 - Suspicious

"Y/n. Don't move." Todoroki said in a low voice. She widened her eyes but kept completely still, unsure of what was happening. He'd seen something behind her and was staring intently at it.

"...S-Shoto?" she whispered. He frowned at her and lightly put his finger to his lips, blocking his own face from whatever he's spotted by hiding behind y/n's head. He glared seriously at y/n, his face inches from hers.

"Y/n. I need you to blast yourself away when I say three." he muttered in a low, deadly voice. Y/n gulped, but stared right back into his glaring eyes, giving him a slight nod.

"Okay. 1... 2... 3!" he whispered. 

She quickly blasted herself to the side with her sand air-force, holding onto his shirt still around her shoulders as Shoto launched a line of ice where she was standing. She tucked herself into a roll as she hit the ground and quickly got back up, ready to fight. 

Y/n turned around frantically to find that Todoroki stood in fighting stance, one foot behind the other. He had launched an frozen barricade at a bush about 10 meters away, trapping it in ice.

"Shoto!" y/n called out as she jogged up to him. He looked back at her and nodded with assurance. The two of them ran up to the bush encased in ice, inspecting it.

"What was that?? What did you see?" y/n asked Todoroki in confusion. He squatted down onto the ground and reached his left arm out to touch the ice. He began to melt some of it with his left hand, as if trying to make the giant ice cube smaller.

"I don't know, but I saw something moving in here. A dark object." he said seriously. Y/n frowned with worry and stared hard at the bush. 

Something didn't feel right. 

Then she suddenly widened her eyes as a thought hit her.

"Wait a minute. Last weekend, when we were walking around here..." y/n began, speculating out loud.

"Yes?" Todoroki asked, furrowing his brow.

"Didn't we see..." she said.

"...something in these bushes?" Todoroki completed y/n's sentence. She gasped lightly and nodded, remembering seeing a small, dark coloured thing moving about in the bushes when she'd walked with him through these grounds last Saturday.

"I remember now! I thought it was a squirrel." y/n said, crouching down to watch him. He'd already melted most of the ice and was reaching in between the leaves, to see if he could find anything in the bush.

"Yeah." Todoroki nodded. He suddenly widened his eyes and his arm stopped moving. He grunted and tried to pull whatever he had grabbed onto. Y/n watched him grit his teeth and reach in with his other hand. Then her gaze shifted, and she found herself looking his arms as he pulled, studying his impressive biceps... 

Wow... I can't look away from his arms... Oh shit, why is my face heating up so much, aw crap...! Oh god what if he notices me looking at him like that! Wait, why am I even thinking about this right now??? This isn't a good time!!... aaAaagh, y/n, concentrate!

Todoroki pulled out an object from the bushes all of a sudden, almost falling onto his back. He managed to break his fall by slamming one of his hands onto the ground to balance himself, right before y/n stepped out and placed her hands on his back to catch him.

"Shoto! A-are you okay?!" y/n asked frantically. Todoroki sighed and nodded, his other arm wrapped around something that looked like a small, black box.

"It's okay, I'm fine." he assured. Both of them pulled themselves up to standing. Todoroki stared at y/n for a few seconds, much to her confusion.

"I'm not going to fall anymore, y/n." he said flatly.