Chapter 12 - Invitation

Y/n giddily walked along the path to the dorms, still holding her phone in her hand. Todoroki had walked off a while ago to answer his phone call. She was still replaying their conversation in her head, just to make sure it had really happened... she stopped in her tracks, deep in thought.

Why do I feel so... skittish right now? Why did I feel so nervous when he looked at me? I haven't been this jumpy around any of my other new classmates... 

There's something about him that just... makes my stomach twist itself in knots. 

She started walking again, facing down as she lost herself in her thoughts. 

Y/n's eyes widened a little as something occurred to her. What Mina said at the sleepover yesterday. Could it be-? Y/n shook her head as she looked down, a pink blush appearing on her cheeks... 

How could it be? I've barley known him for a week... 

"Y/N ! Watch out!" suddenly yelled a voice behind y/n. 

She stopped in her tracks to find a tree inches from her face and an arm in front of her with the fingers in a familiar chopping gesture. 

Y/n looked up to find Iida, the class representative, standing right next to her. His dark blue hair was still settling down from the incredible speed he'd just ran at to stop y/n from crashing face first into a tree. He then grabbed her by the shoulders, as if concerned that she was going to fall.

"Y/n! Are you alright?" he asked loudly, inspecting y/n as if she were injured. "What happened? Are you hurt? Dehydrated? Tired?" 

Y/n took a moment to catch her breath from the shock and promptly shook her head to Iida's barrage of questions. 

"Ah! It's okay, Iida! I'm fine!" y/n answered, an embarrassed smile coming to her face. "I'm so sorry, I was totally distracted, you saved me from crashing head first into the tree. Thank you!" 

With that, Iida relaxed his posture a little and took his hands off y/n's shoulders. He sighed with relief.

"Ah, I see! No problem, I'm glad you're not hurt." he asserted, resting his hand on his hip. Then his expression became serious again as he chopped his hand down in a commanding manner. 

"You should always keep an eye on your surroundings, y/n!" he barked. Y/n stifled a giggle and tried to look at him seriously. 

"Yes, you're totally right! I need to pay more attention." she said, straining not to laugh at Iida's robotic movements. For some reason she found his seriousness really funny. Y/n noticed that he was in workout clothing. 

"Oh! Were you jogging?" she asked.

"Yes! I was doing some laps to train my endurance!" Iida replied keenly. "When I train the exhaust pipes of my calf engines by running, I can increase their engine capacity and thus use my quirk for longer periods of time!"

"Oh, wow! That's incredible!" replied y/n eagerly as Iida pointed to the engines on his calves. His quirk was really amazing... but so was his commitment to improving his skills. 

In fact, everyone here at U.A really seemed to take the initiative for themselves. It filled y/n's heart with determination to do the same. Iida gave y/n a kind smile.

"Thank you, y/n!" he said. "May I ask; besides nearly crashing into a tree, what were you doing?"

"Oh! Well, I came out here for a stroll. It's nice outside today!" y/n replied with a small laugh.

"Indeed it is!" said Iida in agreement. Y/n felt herself getting flustered as she thought about the other part of her morning.

"Yes, it is. Actually... I met, um, Todoroki when I was walking through here. We walked together and talked about a bunch of stuff." Y/n added. Iida stroked his chin, as if analysing the situation.