Chapter 11. Resistance

''No...'' I whispered. ''No!'' I said to him. The Darkling didn't respond. He just looked at me.
''I will NEVER bear your children. That is my promise to you!'' I said and I stood up still looking him in the eyes. ''I'm going to take a walk and don't you dare follow me. Either of you.'' I warned, looking at Ivan as well. Then I stormed off, tears in my eyes. I heard the Darkling call my name, angrily. But I ignored it and kept running.

When I was out of their sight I made myself invisible. I wouldn't make it easy for them to find me again. I went to the library. It wasn't a place the Darkling would think to look for me, I hoped. 

Remaining invisible, I let my fingers slide over the multiple books, looking for one in particular. And there it was. The same book the Apparat had gifted me, now in this library. Istorii Sankt'ya. The Lives of Saints. I grabbed the book and went to the back of the library, it was a comfortable hiding spot. I let myself become visible again and started reading everything that had to do with Ilya Morozova. 

_______________________________

Hours went by and I found it strange that I hadn't been dragged back to my room, by either the Darkling or Ivan. Istorii Sankt'ya was of no use to me. Everything about Ilya Morozova that was in this book, I already knew. I needed more information. So I searched the shelves and found some old book about the region he lived. Trying my luck, I began to read. 
Then I felt a pull on the tether, The Darkling was trying to locate me. He's had enough of my hiding, I thought. I blocked him out, and continued to read, not caring about what he would do when he found me.
It was already dark, when I came across information I didn't yet know about Ilya Morozova.

.......................................................................................................................................

.......................................................................................................................................

.................................................The villagers meant to drown them. Father and daughter. But I couldn't watch idly by and let them die. So I waited until the villagers were gone, and went to pull them out. I found the girl, and pulled her to safety. The man, Ilya Morozova, I could not find. Not his body. Yet when I carried the girl to my horse, I saw footprints in the sand. He was still alive. 

As I helped the girl to a new identity, I kept wondering about the man. Did he die from his injuries? Rumors of a Wanderer of the Earth have spread. I wonder if that's him..............................................................

.......................................................................................................................................

.......................................................................................................................................

The person who wrote this wanted to remain anynomous since there was no name written. So this person is the one that saved the daughter, Mal's ancestor. In a silent prayer I thanked this person, even though I didn't know him or her. 

A Wanderer of the Earth...

''There you are.'' An angry looking Darkling looked down on me. I swallowed as I noticed him. I hadn't heard him come in.

''I - I was-'' But he cut me off, grabbing me by the arm and yanking me up in a standing position.

''Never run off like that again.'' He said warningly, his face just a few inches away from mine. I could feel his breath against my skin as he spoke. His eyes traveled to the book in my hand.
''What were you reading?'' He snapped, snatching the book away from me. I protested but he ignored me. He read the passage and looked at me, mildy interested. 

''You were playing investigator, weren't you? You needed proof I was telling the truth.'' He stated. ''I am telling the truth, Alina.''

''I needed to know for myself, I needed to have another source of information than just you. You said it yourself, you tell half truths.'' I explained, stubbornly

''You are a stubborn little one, aren't you?'' The Darkling spoke, clearly annoyed by my behaviour. 

I wriggled myself loose from his grip. ''Answer one question for me.'' I begged him. He cocked his head, allowing me to continue. ''Where is your grandfather now?'' 

''You've read it yourself, Alina. He's a Wanderer of the Earth. He never stops moving.'' The Darkling explained.

''But where is he now, and then why does he even care enough to resurrect you?'' I blurted out, a little insensitive, as I wasn't satisfied with his answer.

The Darklings look became an angry one. ''I think storytime's over, Alina.'' Was all he said as he took hold of my arm, dragging me with him as he started walking towards the entrance of the library.

''What? No Aleksander-'' I tried to reason with him, struggling against his grip and using my other arm to slow us down. ''Aleksander please, stop!'' I begged him. ''Just tell me the truth!'' 

The Darkling stopped walking and grabbed my other arm. He whirled me against the nearest wall and caged my body with his. I gasped in surprise. 

''You want to know the truth, Alina? I'll tell you a truth.'' In his eyes I could see only anger. I shivered, afraid of what he could do to me. ''I want to fulfill my promise to my grandfather. You know why?'' He asked me. I shook my head, not daring myself to speak. ''Because I want it as well. I want you to be my queen. I want an heir.'' I shook my head furiously. He gave me a cold smile. 

''I do grow tired of that resistance of yours. Perhaps it is time that I have some leverage over you close by.'' My eyes widened. The Darkling grinned and whistled once. 

I heard footsteps coming closer from the left and I turned my head in that direction. My heart sank. Restrained between two Heartrenders, was Mal.

My Mal...