Chapter 28. The announcement

(Dress above is Alina's engagement party dress)

I observed myself in de mirror. I didn't recognize the person who was staring back at me. I looked like a queen in this dress. After I was fitted for my wedding dress, I got fitted for my engagement party dress.

One thing to put me out of my misery was Genya's company. After telling me I looked awful, she began working on my face and hair. I guess the Darkling wanted me pretty, so he permitted Genya to work on me. But Ivan was always close by, watching us.

Now Genya's remaining amber eye was staring at me. "You look like royalty, Alina!" She exclaimed.

Looking at her, I sighed. "Sadly, that's the point."

Now Genya sighed as well and hugged me. "How I wish this isn't happening. You deserve to be with someone who you love." She whispers, low enough as not to be heard by Ivan.

"Thank you." I whisper back.

"You look beautiful." A voice said from behind. It made me shiver and I released Genya to look behind me. The Darkling had come into the room without us noticing and was looking at me.  "Thank you, miss Safin. You will be escorted back to your quarters by Ivan." He said, gesturing to the door.

Genya glared at him, but followed Ivan without a word, leaving me alone with the Darkling.

"You look beautiful." The Darkling repeated. He took a few steps until he was in front of me.

"Thank you, for letting Genya visit." I said, surprising myself and the Darkling.

"She will be allowed to visit more often once we are married. Perhaps one day, I'll trust you both enough to let you see each other without supervision." The Darkling turned me around so that my back was against his chest and I looked in the mirror once again."Genya was right. You look like royalty." He said, while his fingers trailed over my shoulders and down my arms, making me shiver.

"You heard that?" I asked surprised. How long had he been standing there?

The Darkling hummed in response and I felt his hands on my waist. He pulled me closer to him and lowered his head so his lips almost touched my neck, just above the fabric of the dress. His warm breath on my neck gave me goosebumps. I tried to move away but his firm grip held me in place.

"Wh-what are you doing?" I asked, panicking. I didn't get an answer. Instead, I felt his lips leaving kisses on my neck. I closed my eyes and at once, I lost myself in the pleasure of his touch. One of his arms encircled my waist, keeping me against him, while the other hand trailed upwards to my chest. I felt his hand on my breasts through the thin fabric. I moaned in pleasure.

"You're mine." The Darkling whispered against my skin. This seemed to put me out of my trance.

"Let me go, now!" I ordered in a harsh and loud voice while shoving his hand away from my chest and trying to pull the other hand off of my waist.
The Darkling sighed against my skin but released me. As he did so, I turned around and looked at him with anger. Seeing him smirking, made me even angrier. I put some distance between us..

"Don't tell me you didn't like that." He said, raising his eyebrow, mocking me.

"I-I di- It's the stupid tether, nothing more!" I stuttered angrily, which only seemed to amuse him more.
I bent and picked up a shoe that I hadn't chosen when I was fitted for my dress, and threw it towards the Darkling. And although I threw it with much force, the Darkling's quick reflexes made him evade it easily. He chuckled.

"Ivan will be here shortly to escort you to the ballroom and I need to discuss something with him first. I'll see you soon, my queen." He turned away from me and walked out of the room.