Chapter 19. The visit

In my opinion, morning came way to soon. I was awakened by Mal, who placed a breakfast tray next to me on the bed. ''Eat something.'' He said. ''We need you to be in the war room in twenty minutes.'' I yawned and took a bite of the apple in my tray in response. Mal chuckled and left the room. I finished my apple and drank some tea. 

As I rose from the bed, I saw a simple dress hanging over a chair. I quickly dressed myself and combed my fingers through my hair, untangling it. I decided to put it in a tight bun, like I did when I was in the First Army. 

After examening myself in the mirror and approving of my appearance, I strode out of the room. It wasn't hard to find my way to the war room, as loud voices were audible the moment I stepped out of my room. 

As I entered the reasonably big war room, the voices quieted down. Everyone stared at me, some smiling, some simply in awe. I felt my cheeks redden. ''Good morning.'' I said.

There was a chorus of good mornings from everyone at the table, except Kaz who remained quiet. I seated myself between Nikolai and Mal, who both smiled at me. 

''Thank you for joining us, Alina.'' Nikolai said, he still looked just as tired as I was. I bowed my head a bit, a show of respect. But suddenly, my heart sank and I looked past Nikolai in fear. ''Alina? What's wrong?'' Nikolai asked concerned. But I couldn't speak a word.

The Darkling stood there, cocking his head, smirking at me. ''Hello Alina.'' He said. ''Nice to see you again.'' I stared at him.

''Wh-what? H-how did you find us?'' I choked, fear audible in my voice. He just started laughing and shaking his head. 

Then I noticed no one in the room was looking at him, they were al looking at me, a confused expression on their faces. ''Alina? Is he here?'' Nikolai whispered. ''Is he communicating with you?'' I nodded, not trusting myself to speak.

''Everyone out now!'' Nikolai ordered. There was some scraping of chairs and shuffling footsteps. A moment later the room was empty, except for Mal, Nikolai and myself. The Darkling was still there, he started walking towards me.

''Alina. You know it's only a matter of time before you're mine again? Why delay the inevitable?'' He asked me, leaning closer until I could feel his breath on my skin. I shivered. ''This time I won't have mercy on your friends. This time you will watch them die.'' The Darkling whispered, his voice like a caress. 

''You won't find us.'' I told him, yet I didn't believe it myself.

The Darkling raised an eyebrow. ''Won't I? Haven't I already? Our connection has more to offer than just sharing eachothers emotions and visit eachother.'' He smiled triumphantly.

My eyes widened. He was lying right?

''Alina? What's wrong? What did he say?'' Mal shouted at me, concern written all over his face.

I just started shaking my head. ''No, no, no... He found us.'' I whispered. Nikolai's scowled.

''How? How did he find us?'' 

''Becau-because of me.'' I stuttered.

Then it came. The sound of an explosion. Then the screams started. Nikolai cursed under his breath and Mal took me by my arm, pulling me out of the chair and into the safety of his arms. 

''I need to find Zoya!'' Nikolai shouted. I nodded and Nikolai disappeared through the door. 

I made a move to follow, but Mal stopped me. I looked at him confused. He pulled me close and kissed me. Then he looked me in the eyes. ''Stay close to me.'' He said. I nodded, strength returning to my body as I looked into the eyes of the man I loved.