Chapter 31. Arguments and agreements

Darkling POV
After I pulled out, she rushed to get off the bed and locked herself in the bathroom.

I sighed and sank into the pillows, thinking. I always imagined it differently. Our first time was supposed to be at the Winter Fete, before Baghra betrayed me by telling Alina about my plans. Not years later, forceful and without passion. I won't force her again. This was necessary to please the Council, and it had to be done. The next time, she'll come to me. Even if it takes her a hundred years to do so.
We have all the time in the world...

Alina POV
There it was. My first time. As I looked into the mirror I noticed I was crying. I angrily wiped the tears away. I was so sick of crying.

I feel like the girl I was when I was first brought to the Darkling's tent. But I wasn't. And in order to remain sane, I needed to be stronger. I would need to be a queen.

But right now, I didn't feel like a queen at all. I would never admit that he broke me, but now I wasn't sure if I was strong enough to keep fighting.

I turned myself away from my reflection. My memories of this night came to the surface and I shivered. His touch. I could still feel his hands on my body.

Disgusted, I ran a hot bath and started to wash myself. But it didn't matter how hard I tried to rid myself of the feel of his touch, I couldn't. I made a desperate sound, scrubbing my skin until it was red.

A knock came on the door. I froze, remaining silent.
"Alina, please open the door." The Darkling's voice sounded.

"Leave me alone." I tried to call out to him, angrily. Instead it came out as a weak sob.

"You are tired and confused. Let me in. You need to sleep."

"I said, leave me alone." My voice was a little louder this time.

I heard his footsteps as he walked away. Sighing in relief, I let myself sink deeper in the hot water, my skin burning as the water came into contact with the scrubbed skin. I welcomed the pain.

I must've dozed off because when I came to, the water was awfully cold and my skin was wrinkled.

I quickly got out and wrapped myself in a towel.
I slipped on a nightgown and unlocked the door. I peeked out into the bedroom to find it empty.

I crept into bed, sliding underneath the warm blanket. It was lot more comfortable to lay there, knowing the Darkling wasn't here. And soon my eyes began to droop, feeling heavy. When I finally gave in to the oblivion of sleep, it was nearly dawn.

I woke up to the sound of a door closing. Pretending to still be asleep, I opened my eyes only slightly and saw that the Darkling had entered the room. His back was turned towards me. I observed him as he was rummaging through a drawer, clearly looking for something. Suddenly he stopped.
"I know you're awake." At that I squeezed my eyes shut again, until I felt the mattress bend under the weight of another body. I opened my eyes wide and scrambled off the bed.

The Darkling watched me from his sitting position on the bed, remaining silent.

Anger welled up inside me at the thought of what he did to me last night. "How could you!?" I hissed at him. The Darkling stood up and walked over to me. "Don't come any closer." I warned, and he stopped a few steps away from me.

"It had to be done, Alina." The Darkling's voice was gentle, almost soothing. He reached out to me, but when I flinched he stopped. "I won't do it again, not until you come to me."

"And what?" I scoffed. "Is that supposed to make it okay? Leave, I can't bear the sight of you." I pointed at the door.

I watched as the Darkling slowly made his way towards the door and opened it. "It wasn't supposed to happen this way." I heard him whisper, before leaving me alone in the room, stunned.