Chapter 32. Amplifier

I would never understand the Darkling's desire to rule. The amount of paperwork we had to do and all the boring meetings we attended, were driving me crazy. In the last few days, I had persisted through hours of paperwork and even more hours of meetings.

Presently, I was staring at a potted plant, during another one of those boring meetings. This one concerning taxes.
The urge to plead exhaustion became stronger and it didn't help that the Darkling did not once have to stifle a yawn, or lost focus. I felt the smugness in response to my annoyance through the tether.

''Moi Tsar, should I report these increases of taxes to the coin master?''

''Yes, that would be a wise course of action. And also mention that the profit of those taxes will go to the war effort.''

At the mention of 'war', I sat up straight.

''That will conclude our business for today. You may go.'' I sank back down in my chair.
A bow of a man and the sound of a door closing, marked the end of another meeting, leaving us alone.

I sighed deeply. ''How could you want this?'' I asked the Darkling, gesturing wildly around me.

The Darkling studied me for a moment. ''How could I want, what? Ruling? It's not that I enjoy all this,'' the Darkling mimicked me as he gestured around wildly, ''but its fruition, that's what pleases me. Without labor, nothing prospers, my Alina. And that's all I want for Ravka. For it to prosper. And my dedication to that goal is unrivaled.''

''I never doubted your dedication, just your suitability for the job.'' I retorted.

''Who would be more suited? The Sobachka?'' The Darkling inquired sarcastically.

''Well, at least Nikolai can rule with a heart and conscience.''

''Lantsov has been making this country bankrupt for the past two years, all it's money going to his sciency contraptions. But what would you know about how Ravka faired these past two years? You were busy isolating yourself and living the life of a mouse.''

''In case you've forgotten, my powers were gone.'' I scowled at him. ''You told me yourself, that day on the Fold, that I was nothing.''

''I don't make mistakes very often, but that was one of them.'' The Darkling admitted.

''Why would I, when my powers had left me, remain in Os Alta?'' I asked him.

The Darkling didn't answer.

''I could have agreed to Nikolai's proposal, to marry him. To become queen. But I didn't.'' The Darkling looked at me, clearly surprised but intrigued. ''Saints, don't you see?'' I said, desperate for him to understand. ''I will always choose love over power. And I love Mal. He is the husband I chose''

''And he will be dust in a century, while you'll remain young and beautiful.'' He calmly pointed out, but his expression had angered at the mention of Mal. ''Why let yourself go through that heartbreak?'' His voice was strained, as he tried to reason with me, keeping his anger under control.

''Well, at least that would have been my choice then.'' I defended myself, rising out of my seat. ''Unlike this arrangement of ours.'' I moved towards the exit.

''Where do you think you're going?'' The Darkling grabbed my arm. He had also risen from his seat.

''I'm tired, I will be in my chambers, moi Tsar.'' I mocked a bow and pulled my arm out of his grasp. To my surprise, he let me go.

Darkling's POV

As she left my presence, I sighed. I was both infuriated and sorrowful. No matter anyone's beliefs, I feel something for her.
Over the course of my long life, I've grown to believe that love is weakness. Wanting makes us weak. Of course, this was thanks to my mother.