Chapter 30. Forced pleasure (⚠️)

Warning! This chapter contains a lot of mature content and may be triggering to some! Please don't read the parts with the ⚠️⚠️⚠️ if you think it will affect you in a bad way!❤️

The Darkling took my hand and we descended the altar. I was now married to him. And I was a queen. The weight of the crown wasn't just a figure of speech. Damn... the thing was heavy.

We left the chapel as everyone still chanted. "Long may they reign!"

"It is Ravkan custom to now share a drink alone, before the evening celebration in the Ballroom." The Darkling informed me. I nodded, I knew this. Genya had told me all about what was expected from me today.

We walked all the way back to the Grand Palace and the Darkling's study. The long train I had on for the ceremony was removed from my dress by servants once we were out of sight and in the Palace. This made walking much easier.

I remained silent once we were in the study. My mind once again on the little vial tucked away in my dress.
"There is something on your mind, you're at war with yourself." The Darkling used his connection to me.

"Stay out of my head." I glared at him.
He stared at me for a while but didn't start the conversation again. "I'll get the drinks." I mumbled, hating his stare and getting uneasy.

I went to the drinking cart and took out two wine glasses, making sure they were in front of me, out of the Darkling's sight. I silently took out the vial and let the liquid cover the bottom of both glasses. Yes, both glasses. Then I opened a bottle of red wine and poured it into the glasses.

"I thought we could drink kvas." The Darkling commented.

"You know I hate kvas." I retorted, annoyed. I handed him a glass.

The Darkling raised his and I reluctantly raised mine. "To us and the future of Ravka." He toasted. I toasted, but did not repeat his words.

The Darkling raised the wine glass to his lips and I mimicked him, watching him. Then suddenly he moved the glass away from his lips.
"Red wine." He said, admiring the red liquid in his glass. "Beautiful and delicious. It has a very strong scent. In the old days, kings would have their wine tasted by servants. I even think that even now, it is done. Do you know why?" He asked me, his eyes still on his glass. I lowered my glass and shook my head, getting nervous again. Does he know? I wondered.

"Well, red wine has such a strong scent, that poison was often masked by it." The Darkling's eyes now found mine. Then he threw the glass against the nearest wall, staining it with red wine while the floor was covered with small pieces of glass.

"Did you really think I would not be able to detect poison?" He asked me furiously. I took a few steps back and looked at my own glass. This might be my only chance to be free of him.
The Darkling followed my gaze and realizing what I was about to do advanced on me.

I had a split second to decide. I put the wine glass to my lips.

"No!" The Darkling yelled, but I raised my glass to drink the liquid within. I underestimated the Darkling's speed, however. Before I could drink some of the wine, he had slapped the glass out of my hands and it broke as it hit the floor.

Now it was my turn to scream,"No!" But not in anger, it was in desperation. In an even more desperate attempt, I let myself fall to the floor to try and touch the liquid again and bring it to my mouth. But before I could even try, the Darkling had pulled me up by the arms and held me up.

"My Alina, always the martyr." He tried to remain calm, but his fury was showing by the way he looked at me and the strength of his grip on my arms.

"I'm not yours." I spat.