Chapter 24. The outcome

Nikolai landed in the protective circle the nichevo'ya had made around us, changing back into his human self. The Darkling stepped in front of me, his face towards the others, separating me from them.

''You've made quite a mess of my city, Sobachka.'' The Darkling was angry, I could feel it. Yet his voice was deadly calm. 

Nikolai ignored him, looking at me. ''You okay, Alina?'' He asked me. I nodded, smiling.

''She is your queen. Do not address her like that!'' The Darkling warned him.

''I didn't realize Alina and I were to be married? I'm a married man already. Zoya won't like this at all.'' Nikolai said in a sarcastic tone, faking looking thoughtful. I could have slapped him for being so stupid to make such a remark. But of course he would toy with the Darkling. It's Nikolai. 

''Glad to see you still have your wits about you, while the city around you is burning to the ground.''  The Darkling said, raising an eyebrow, anger radiating from him. 

''Can't this wait?'' I scoffed at both of them. ''In case you haven't noticed, we're in the middle of a battle.'' With that, I rushed past the nichevo'ya, arching my arms in the motion of making the Cut. It sliced through six enemy soldiers. 

''You've been practicing.'' Nikolai said, looking impressed. He had drawn his sword and had caught up to me. I smirked at him. 

''Alina, stay here!'' The Darkling's voice boomed from behind the safety of the nichevo'ya. I ignored him, sending another Cut through enemy soldiers. 

I felt him getting closer and soon he was by my side. But instead of pulling me back into his control, his idea of safety, he began to fight alongside me. Maybe he is able to change?
He must have seen my startled expression because he shrugged his shoulder and his lips formed a small smile. Soon though, his smile was gone again, leaving me thinking I imagined it.

Nikolai and the Darkling took up the rear with me while Mal, Nina, Adrik and Nadia were moving closely behind, fighting left and right. Mal kept close to me, protecting me from behind. Soon other Grisha were fighting their way towards us to join us.

Meanwhile, Nikolai's airship was battling airborne Khergud soldiers.  One after the other fell out of the sky, how they did it I didn't know.

Soon I'd lost count how many Shu I had killed. The Grisha under the influence of Jurda Parem were harder to kill. It sometimes took three of us to take one down. Except for the Darkling, he didn't even seem to notice the difference. He took them down as easily as any other Shu. It annoyed me so much he seemed to feel it through our bond, because he looked at me and smirked. I just rolled my eyes and took on the next Shu who came our way.
It was a Grisha under the influence of Parem. I soon figured he was able to control lightning, as a bolt almost struck me. I had evaded it just in time. Before I had the time to strike, darkness engulfed the Grisha, choking him. It was horrible to see. The Grisha fell to the ground, spasmed a lot and then he didn't move. He was dead. 

''You're welcome!'' The Darkling shouted from a distance, doing the same to another Shu. 

''I had it under control!.'' I yelled back furiously. ''Besides, that was barbaric!''

''Getting struck by lightning isn't?'' He retorted. 

Opening my mouth to speak, I realised I had no answer to that, so I just ignored him. Which seemed to amuse the Darkling even more.

We fought for what felt like hours, but I knew we were gaining the upper hand. We drove the Shu slowly in to retreat. Once Palace grounds were secured the Shu ceased their attack entirely and retreated, leaving the city.