Early june (part 10)

(Carolyn POV)

It was 10 in the morning and all the kids were up, but Meredith and Derek weren't. I knew Meredith had a check up in a few hours, so I went upstairs and knocked on their door.

With no answer, I walked inside cautiously and saw the two wrapped up in each other's arms, obviously
Both still asleep.

I didn't want to, but I walked closer and gently shook Derek awake. "It's 10. You said Meredith had an appointment or something at 11." I whispered.

"Thank you. We'll be down soon." Derek said as Meredith unconsciously burrowed closer to his body. I smiled and nodded before walking out once again.

Sure enough, a little while later the two of them entered the kitchen where the kids and I were eating breakfast/lunch.

"Good morning." Derek said, kissing all three kids on the forehead. "Mom and I have an appointment to go to so you guys are gonna be with grandma for a hours." He said to the kids.

"Appointment? Are you okay?" Zola asked in concern. "I'm fine, Zo. Just a checkup." Meredith replied. "How about we go for a walk today? And we can go get some ice cream." I said with a grin as the kids nodded in agreement.

Meredith and Derek left the house a few minutes later, leaving me and the kids.

(Derek POV)

I held Merediths hand as I anxiously waited for Bailey to take us into a room. "Derek. Relax." Meredith said softly. "Im relaxed." I argued, knowing she'd see right through me regardless.

"You aren't. I can feel how tense you are. It's just a checkup. Im okay." She whispered, turning to face me and kissing me softly. "Im okay." She repeated.

I nodded and took a deep breath. "Shepherd, Grey, over here." Bailey said as she waved us over. We entered an exam room and I stood next to Meredith as she hopped onto the table.

"Alright Grey. Take some deep breaths for me." Bailey said as she pressed her stethoscope on Merediths chest.

I held her hand as Bailey had her do all types of breathing exercises and such. "Okay Grey. Everything looks really good. Your lung function is still not quite where I want it, but in covid patients that may never get back to normal. So keep taking it easy and I'll see you soon." Bailey said with a smile.

"Soon as in when?" Meredith asked. "One week and you can come back." She replied.

"Bailey?" Meredith asked in a quiet voice. "I don't know if I'll be able to stand on my own two feet for surgeries." She admitted. I rubbed her back as a silent gesture and listened.

"I figured that. So, I discussed with Richard about options. I can't lose another surgeon, Grey. I want you to take over the residency program." Bailey said.

I could feel Meredith freeze. "Richard runs the residency program." She said. Bailey scoffed. "Richard isn't going anywhere. He's got too many jobs."

"Listen Grey, I'm hoping Webber steps down someday. We need a plan. And you are my plan." Bailey said wisely.

Meredith seemed to be debating in her own head. "Well..." Bailey trailed off, looking for an answer. "Am I allowed to say yes?" She asked with a grin. Bailey smiled and uncharacteristically hugged Meredith.

(Meredith POV)

Accepting this new position gives me a new chance to help form the future. I can't wait to start. I will miss surgery, but it's not like I'll never scrub in again.

"Congratulations Dr Grey." Derek said as he pressed his lips against mine. I giggled and pulled away slightly. "Thank you dr Shepherd. You realize that your mom has the kids, right? And we're alone....in a hospital full of beds?" I asked suggestively.

"You're right." Derek said with a smirk. He led me into an empty on call room and pushed me into the bed. "Are you okay to do this?" He asked, taking his lips off of mine for a second.

"I'm okay Derek." I confirmed as I flipped us over so I was on top of him. "Never better." I breathed against his lips.

•••

A little while later, we collapsed in bed, panting after a much needed time together. "Are you...okay?" Derek asked, catching his breath. I was laying practically on top of him and laid my head on his bare chest.

"Definelty." I replied. I felt his hands snake around my waist, holding me close to his body. "I missed this." I murmured.

"Missed what?" Derek asked softly, rubbing my back soothingly. "Being able to lay in your arms." I replied. "Me too." Derek whispered.

"Mer?" Derek asked after a moment. "Yeah?"

"Are you okay with the new position?" He asked. I sighed. "I think so. We both know I'm not going to be able to stand in long surgeries for a few more weeks. It'll be good. I get to teach new residents about everything. And I can still scrub in on surgeries occasionally." I responded.

"Okay. As long as your happy." Derek said. I turned to look up at him. "I am. I really am." I responded.

(Derek POV)

We left the hosptial a little while later together and got home. "Hey! How did it go?" Mom asked hopefully. "It went well. Really well." Meredith responded.

"Mer got a position as the director of residency." I said proudly. "You did? That's great dear! May I ask why?" Mom replied with a smile.

"I can't do surgeries for hours at a time on my feet. So, this is an alternative. I'll still be able to do surgeries, but when I want to and when I feel like I can." Meredith explained.

"Good for you dear. That was a long appointment." Mom said. "Oh, yeah...I just had to checkup on some....charts! Yes, charts." I stammered. My mom looked at me knowingly and Meredith changed the conversation.

"Anyone want ice cream?" She asked.

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. If you guys have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them! Thanks for reading.