Chapter 1

"They'll find me here, where else would I be?" I scoffed as I paced the dark hardwood floors of the familiar study.

"I know," Charles nodded. "I know. I just prefer you here where I can make sure you're safe," He squeezed the bridge of his nose in frustration.

"I prefer to be here," I sighed sitting in one of the leather club chairs. "But it's too obvious, and they are not stopping till they get to me. They've already caused so much destruction, I can't wait around for that to happen to you guys,"

"You're right." Charles directed his wheelchair in my direction, "Where will you go?"

"I can't say," He looked at me disapprovingly, "You know I can't say, they have a clairvoyant like you, they will find out if they come here."

"Alright, so you've thought this out? You have a plan? You have a backup plan?" He questioned me.

"I've thought it out, I have a plan. And only one plan Charles." I stood up from the chair to leave the room.

"And if it doesn't work?"

"I'll figure it out!" I countered. "You know, I'm not the child I was when I first got here," I smiled.

"Oh, I know that," He chuckled in response. "Say goodbye before you go?"

"Of course." I left the room to pack up a bag.

For my whole life, I've been shuffled back and forth between my father and Charles. For the first time, I'm going to be on my own and making my own decisions. While the thought excited me, it also horrified me. Most kids feel this at the age of 18 when they go to college, but I'm not like most kids. None of us here at the school for the gifted are like most kids. At the age of 25, I'm going to be leaving my childhood home to finally be independent. The dark cedar wood that lines the halls will be a memory once I go on my own. My room with its maroon walls and beige accents that comforted me and raised me will be waiting for me when I return, Charles would never lend my suite to anyone else.

My suitcase is full of t-shirts, jeans, and sweatshirts, trying to zip it shut was a nightmare. Toiletries, socks, underwear, shoes... how much stuff did I even need? How long would I be gone? Everything in my life was currently a disaster. The Brotherhood needed me, they were coming for me, and stopping them was almost impossible. If Professor X didn't have the team he has now, I could never leave him. But he has a group of people that cared and protected him as I would.

"So it's true?" The familiar voice spoke from my doorframe.

I looked over at Alex. "I'm sorry. I was going to come to see you before I left," I began to explain.

"You don't owe me answers, Julia," He huffed while coming over to lean on my dresser. "I'm just... sad to see you go,"

"I don't want to go," I admitted sitting on my bed in front of him. "There's just no other choice. If I stay everyone here will be in more danger than they already are,"

"Yeah, I guess so," He confessed.

"I'm going somewhere where I think I will be safe,"

"Don't tell me where, Emma Frost will just get it out of me," He shook his head.

"I know," I said quietly. "If they come, Alex, please please promise me, you and Charles stay safe. I can't... I can't live knowing my existence hurt my two favorite people,"

"I'm your favorite person?" He smiled.

"Shut up," I smiled back smacking his knee with my hand as I stood up to finish packing. "Promise me?"