Chapter 3

I stayed in my room for the day. I unpacked my stuff and got comfortable. I made a list on a notepad from the desk in the room of things I need to get to make the room feel more like mine. Maybe a picture or two, a candle, some colorful blankets, maybe a cute lamp. Since Charles never had kids he treats me as his own, he's given me a personal credit card to use whenever I need. He's disgustingly rich like Mr. Stark is.

I already missed Charles and everyone at the school. It's barely been a day and I wish to call him so bad. He's been a rock in my life since my mom abandoned me. He would pick me up after betraying him with my father and the Brotherhood, he never made me feel bad for my poor decisions, even though he should have. He helped me develop my powers and work through my trauma. Tears formed in my eyes as I sat on the grey couch thinking of home.

"We are having dinner soon," Wanda's voice came from the doorway.

"Oh, I'm not hungry," I wiped the tears before standing to face her.

"Yes you are, come." She said and left the room expecting me to follow. I reluctantly did follow her to the kitchen area.

The kitchen was loud. More people were here now than in the conference room earlier. I have heard of most of them before, like Natasha who they call Black Widow or Hawkeye guy, a few others I haven't heard of too. I felt like I was intruding even though I haven't said a word. I've never felt so out of place before.

"Sit here," Wanda pointed to a chair at the table. I sat and watched everyone around me eventually take their place. Luckily Wanda sat next to me. Although we haven't spoken more than what happened in the interrogation room, she made me feel comfortable remaining by my side.

Dinner was served. Steak, baked potatoes, and crispy broccoli. Apparently, they take turns cooking around here, tonight was Rhode's turn, he seemed older than us and close with Mr. Stark.

Everyone talked and laughed. Exchanging stories and talking like friends. It felt like how we all talk together at the school. I don't know why I thought they would be strange. They are so popular in the media and amongst the world population in general. I just thought they were a professional stuck-up bunch. But they joked with each other and seemed to love each other as we do at the school, it was comforting.

"So, Polaris," Sam, the previously Mr. Wing man, said from the opposite side of the table making everyone go silent.

I put down my drink and sat up more in my seat to see him. "Yeah?"

"Tell us something," he shrugged sitting back in his chair.

"Like what?" I questioned.

"I dunno, we all know each other's deepest darkest secrets, share yours," he smirked.

"No Sam," Wanda began. "She doesn't have to do that."

"Why not!" Hawkeyes exclaimed. "We all know each other inside out, if she's going to stay here we should know her!"

Everyone has had a few drinks so the rowdiness wasn't shocking.

"Well, that's a point," Stark added.

I cleared my throat and scooted my chair in more. "Let's see..."

"You don't have to share," Cap said. "They just love to stir stuff up,"

"Ah, I don't mind," I waved him off and kept thinking. "There's a lot of things I could share but I don't know you all that well," I scoffed making Sam chuckle slightly. I didn't want to act like all of these people intimidate me, even though they are at the moment, I wanted to try to fit in if I was planning on staying. They allowed me to live with them, the least I could do was play along. "So on my 15th birthday my, or our," I said looking to Pietro and Wanda "Estranged father came to the school where I lived. And I thought he was there to see me for my birthday and spend time with me, right. And yeah he got me a present he ate dinner with us and had cake with us. But at the end of the night, he began spewing his antihuman ideals and mutant supremacy bullshit and I fell for it. That was the first time I consciously made the decision to go with him," I admitted.