Chapter 40

We got back to the compound late at night. The Professor called a car for him and the others and they decided to go back to the School, in case anyone shows up there with information on the Brotherhood's whereabouts. After Bruce bandaged up Storm's arm that was slashed by Spike, she came over to me with tears in her eyes. She pulled me in for a tight hug. I was hesitant to hug back, but I did. She pulled away and left for the car without another word. The Professor and Tony exchanged numbers and agreed to keep each other updated on new information and process made in locating her.

Everyone else went to the infirmary to disinfect wounds and see if the heavily injured guys were alright. I stormed out of the infirmary after two minutes of weird silence and went to our living quarters. I walked to Julia's room without even thinking. Before I twisted the door open I told myself to go to my own room. Sitting in a room full of reminders of her probably was the wrong thing to do. But I opened the door anyway. Her scent hit me as soon as I took a single step in. The pajamas she was wearing before we left last night were still on the floor near the opened dresser drawers. The bed was still unmade from when we shot up to get to the jet. I sat on the couch and put my head in my hands. I couldn't fathom this bullshit.

A light knock came from the door and I looked over to see Wanda standing in the doorway. She had some dirt on her suit and a cut on her face that a bandage half covered. She came and sat down with me.

"I don't like that we left that fast either," She confessed. "If they gave me five minutes, maybe, just maybe I could've overpowered the Emma Frost girl and gotten into Julia's head myself to disarm her," She rambled. Now I can hear how I sounded.

"It's not your fault," I said. "It's not our fault,"

"I guess not," She sighed and leaned her head back on the couch. "I feel like complete shit about it,"

"Yup," I agreed.

"I'm gonna go shower," She said and stood from the couch. "Listen," She huffed before leaving the room. "I know you don't do feelings and talking, but don't keep this stuff in. It's hard on me too and if you wanna talk, let me know," she sent me a soft smile and I nodded in response.

She left the room and shut the door behind her. I decided to change out of my suit and shower too. I left the room and went to my bedroom wing. I stood outside my door, not wanting to go into that horrible abyss.

"Buck," Cap said coming down the hall to me. "I- I'm sorry, man."

"Yeah," I said quietly and leaned against the wall.

"We're going to find her. We have the capabilities. Stark and Bruce are already brainstorming," he tried to comfort me.

"Okay." I nodded. I just wanted to be left alone right now, honestly.

He patted me on the shoulder then headed down to his room. I couldn't bring myself to go into my room so I turned back around and went to Julia's room. I showered and put on some extra clothes I had in her closet. It felt horrible being in her room knowing she wasn't in the kitchen getting snacks or down the hall talking with Wanda. I had no idea where she was, what she was doing, and I was alone. Alone in a room that breathed her. I ripped the covers off the bed and laid face down. Sleep would be impossible.