Chapter 5

I tried to stay out of everyone's way in the morning while they got ready to go downstairs and train. Once they left I went into the kitchen to make breakfast and read my new book at the counter. I must've gotten lost in the book for hours because the elevator door beeped and everyone started coming back from the gyms downstairs. I shut my book and went to retreat to my room but Sam stopped me.

"You read a lot?" He asked leaning on the counter across from me.

"Uh... yeah, I try," I said glancing at Bucky who was chugging a glass of water behind him. He rolled his eyes at my comment.

"Cool," Sam nodded. "Why don't you work out with us? You must've worked out at that powered people school, right?" He asked. I chuckled a bit at the way he phrased the question. I was just happy someone was making conversation with me.

"We did work out a bunch, but mostly we were busy with the kids. I taught a few classes, so workouts weren't as... intense, I guess, as yours," I explained.

"Oh, so we intimidate you?" Sam smiled.

"I never said that," I smiled and extended my hand to summon a mug of coffee into my palm.

"Hmm," He nodded and grabbed a bottle of water before heading to his room.

"I didn't know you taught over there," Steve said sitting next to me at the counter with a plate of cut-up fruit.

"Yeah, what did you teach?" Nat asked joining him at the counter.

"A couple of different level English classes and a few research classes for the older students," I explained. "Everyone teaches something different, my friend Storm teaches History classes," I added.

"That's rewarding," Steve said.

"Yeah, I love it. I miss the kids, even though they are constantly distracting others with their powers and whatnot, they are funny,"

"So they are all mutants like you?" Nat asked.

"Yeah, like Wanda and Pietro too," They didn't know they were considered mutants till I showed up. "They all have unique powers,"

"Like?" Steve asked.

"This kid named Beak, he can transform into any species of bird. Uhh, we have a girl who we call Dust, she converts herself into sand, very durable stuff,"

"They sound like freaks," Bucky mumbled from the side.

"Says the one with the metal arm," I countered. He shrugged and walked away from us.

"It's insane. That there are so many people out there with all different powers," Steve chimed in.

"Yeah, we learn of new mutants with crazy powers every day,"

"Bruce would love this stuff, he's fascinated by Wanda and Pietro's genes," Nat said.

"He should talk to the Professor sometime, he's a pro on the X-Gene," I said.

I talked a bit more with Steve and Nat about the school and mutants before they excused themselves to clean up after their workouts. It felt good to talk with anyone for more than a few minutes. After cleaning up my dishes, I snuck down to the gym to work out alone. Sam was right, I was super intimidated by all of them. While we all worked out and trained at the school, we never do it as much as these guys and we focus a lot on power enhancement, which they do not really do around here. Imagine if Wanda and Pietro were guided by the Professor, their powers would be insanely advanced, more than they already are.

After an hour or two in the gym, I ended my lame workout and showered for dinner. Talking to a couple of them earlier made me hopeful for dinner. Sam was cooking tonight, he made a seafood dish his parents made when he was younger. His parents had a boat to catch and sell seafood in their town in Louisiana, so of course, he knew how to prepare a good seafood dish.