Chapter Forty-Nine

POV Alec

The day before Christmas was stressful. In his daydreams Alec was snuggled up in front of the fireplace with a good book and Magnus by his side but in reality he hadn't had a moment to breathe since he woke up.

Preparing the "little" party his mother had planned turned out to be a lot more effort than he had expected and he and his siblings had been busy all day, decorating the house, cleaning the floor and setting the tables.

Thankfully Magnus, Simon and Clary came over after lunch in order to help them which immediately lightened up Alec's mood.

He couldn't remember that he had ever been that happy about seeing Simon, even though he was singing the whole time while they were working and dropped a whole stack of plates on the floor.

Both Simon and Magnus were extremely cheerful today and it was almost impossible to be in a bad mood around them. Also Alec really liked the Santa hat his boyfriend was wearing. It looked very cute on him, just like the glitter on his eyelids and the casual red sweater he was wearing. There was an anthropomorphized reindeer printed on it and it was carrying a huge bag with presents. When he asked him about it Magnus told him that the sweater had been a present from his mother and that he hadn't worn it in a long time.

"Why that? You look adorable."

Magnus laughed. "Really?"

Alec nodded and wrapped his arms around his boyfriend's waist. "I love seeing you dressed like this. It's so casual."

"Well maybe I should wear this more often then" Magnus said with a smile.

"You should."

"Oh look - there's a mistletoe above our heads."

Alec followed his boyfriend's eyes and frowned. "Really? I can't remember hanging it up though."

"Oh well." Magnus shrugged and grinned innocently. "Maybe it's a Christmas miracle."

Alec laughed and shook his head. "You know that you can just kiss me if you want to, right? No need to stand under a mistletoe."

Magnus rolled his eyes. "Of course I do but I was trying to be romantic." Alec smiled fondly. "I've never had a kiss under a mistletoe actually."

"Then we should definitely change that" Magnus mumbled and pulled his head down at the same time.

Their kiss was soft and sweet and Magnus's lips tasted like cinnamon which was probably due to the fact that he had been eating a whole lot of cookies beforehand.

"You taste like Christmas," Alec said quietly and Magnus smiled.

"And you taste like Alec."

"I hope that means something good."

"It definitely does."

Alec wanted to lean down to kiss his boyfriend again but in that moment the doorbell rang and distracted him.

"Oh, that's probably my mother" Magnus said and before Alec could react he was already gone in order to open the door.

"Hey, why are you just standing around here?" Jace complained as he entered the room. He was carrying a plate with little snacks and Izzy, who was right behind him, was holding a pot of hot chocolate. "I'm sure mom and Clary could use your help in the kitchen."

Alec resisted the urge to roll his eyes. After all he had been the one to clean the living room and to arrange the furniture so that there would be enough space for everybody. It wasn't like he hadn't done anything.