Chapter Eight

POV Alec

“So please do the exercises on page 10 for homework” the teacher ended the lesson and all students groaned in annoyance. Well everybody except Alec but he also wasn't very happy about this. He didn't mind doing homework at all but it was the first day after the holidays and he definitely needed some more time to get back into his working schedule. 

“So much homework after the first lesson? That's just cruel” Jace complained loudly while the other students around them started to leave the classroom. He looked over at Alec. “Don't you want to do mine as well?” 

Alec snorted. Jace had to be kidding him! “Definitely not” he said and put his books into his bag.

“But I thought you love doing homework.”

“That's true but I'm not your bitch” Alec replied, very pleased with himself. 

“Whow okay okay” Jace raised his hands and laughed. “I was just joking man.” 

Alec raised his eyebrows. He didn't believe him for one second. “Yeah sure” he said but then he laughed as well. 

Jace wrapped one arm around his shoulder and they walked out of the room, both chuckling.

On the corridor Izzy was already waiting for them. Clary was standing next to her and it seemed like the two of them already came along pretty well. They both were one class level under them because they were younger than Jace and Alec who were approximately the same age. Alec still was a few month older though and he never got tired to remind Jace of it. Even though he was adopted he was like a real brother to Alec and he also loved teasing him like one.

“Oh hey guys. There you are” Izzy greeted them. 

“How was your first lesson?” Clary asked. 

“I didn't really pay attention to be honest. All I know is that we have way too much homework already. That Mr. Garroway dude we just had in our last lesson really sucks.” 

Jace laughed but Clary didn't look very amused.
“He's my stepfather.” 

Jace stopped laughing immediately and looked like he was about to have a stroke. His facial expression was actually quite funny but Alec managed not to laugh about it. With Clary around his brother apparently tended to put his foot in his mouth quite a lot. 

“Oh … uh … I'm so sorry … I didn't know …” 

Jace obviously didn't know what to say and Alec just started to feel very sorry for him when Clary suddenly started laughing.

“Hey I'm just kidding” she said.

“Really?” Jace asked warily but he already looked a lot calmer now. 

“Yes, really. I mean Luke really is my stepfather - or at least he's going to be very soon - but I'm not upset about what you said. I actually understand what you mean … I’ve heard from many students that he always gives a lot of homework so it's not very surprising that people can't stand him sometimes.”

“I’m still sorry for saying that he sucks. He's a very good teacher actually” Jace said. 

Alec raised his eyebrows but he didn't say anything. 

“It's okay really. You don't need to apologize for that” Clary said. “But if you feel the urge to make it up to me you could join me for lunch maybe. I have a theater play in a few weeks and I need somebody who can go through my lines with me after I finished eating.”

Jace seemed to be pretty surprised about the invitation but he nodded anyways. “Uh yeah sure. Why not?” he said with a smile.

“Great. Do you want to join us too?” Clary looked at Alec and Izzy.