35

A peaceful morning is what Ashton would call it. It felt like forever since they've actually had a relaxing morning together. Waking up before Luke did since he worked the night shift the other night, Ashton decided to make breakfast for the both of them.

Going into the kitchen, noticing the mail being on the floor by the door. When noticing they were bills, Ashton couldn't help himself from opening it.

A frown fell upon his face seeing the number they owed and remembering how frantic the older boy was when barely having enough money to pay.

Pondering softly, grabbing his savings getting enough for the bills and taking it to the landlord quickly before Luke woke up. But it wasn't quick enough because when getting back, the tattooed boy was already making coffee in the kitchen.

"Where'd you go?"

Ashton froze. "Um, I-I paid the bills." Luke furrowed his eyebrows,"What? Why? You should've let me pay them. That's not something you should be worrying about Ashton. Next time just know your boundaries." He finished with a scoff.

"It is something I should be worried about when I saw how scared you were last time Luke. I know you barely had enough last time and you didn't even let me help. You know how useless I felt? I'm supposed to be here to help you, but all I'm doing is nothing. Why won't you let me help you with this?"

Luke bit his lip softly with a small sigh as they both sat down at the kitchen table. Grabbing Ashton's hand, inhaling knowing what was coming next.

"When I was five, my dad left me and my mom because my mom is a coke addict. Then when I was seven she met Gabe, who you know is another coke addict. I saw her become worse and worse within the years and from as early as age six, I learned how to cook for myself, buy groceries, how to clean up after myself, and I taught myself each subject in school. And when I was ten, I learned how to pay the bills. Each and every one of them because my mom would be too fucking out of her mind to do them. At the age of twelve I got my first job, it was just shoveling snow and mowing lawns for our neighbors but that's when I started saving up for college because I couldn't wait to get out of there. There would've been days when I'd have to stay at my neighbors because she and Gabe bought a motel room blacked out and she'd forget about me. And when I was in high school, I got better paying jobs because obviously I was older and from the minute I became a freshman, I had one thing in mind. College. I fell in love with this college not too far from here and I did the math and figured out how much everything would be and made that my goal to work to. And when I was a senior, halfway through my year I was about to submit my college application when I found out my mom and Gabe used all my money I saved up. That's when I really knew I couldn't rely on them or anyone. I dropped out because there was no point, even with scholarships I would not be able to pay my way through college. I dropped out, I stayed with Michael for a while until he got me a job at the shop I work at now. He helped me pay for this apartment, more like behind my back because I would've said no but I paid him back anyways. I got all my stuff from my old house and never went back there. That's when it felt like my life was falling apart, I would drink so much and most of these tattoos were done with I was drunk so I don't remember half of them. Then Michael and Calum helped me get back on my feet. That's why I have a hard time relying on people and letting people help."

"Luke, I-I'm so sorry you went through that. Y-you could try to go back to school. We have the money for it." Luke shook his head,"No baby, that's it for me. But you, you have a bright future and I'll do everything I can to make sure you get it."

Smiling softly at his boyfriends attempt to make him feel better, knowing it would never happen he shook his head. "It's okay Sugar. I've accepted my fate, I can't change that. But what I can change right now is your growling stomach."