t w e n t y o n e

The fire was loud in Adas living room, Jess and Polly sat across from the Shelby as whiskey was being poured into glasses.

It had been awkward between Jess and the Shelby's, no one wanting to say something they shouldn't.

Jessy moved closer to the older woman, "How's my dad Poll?", she asked.

Polly and Ada both looked confused by the sudden question, neither knowing what to say.

"He's doing okay I guess, I see him not that much more than you do sweetheart." Chuckled Polly, not looking the girl in the face.

Jessy laughed at this, "oh please", she teased the woman, "my father is in love with you."

"And you are in love with my nephew." The woman smirked, taking a gulp of her drink.

Ada clapped excitedly, "so...when are you and Finn thinking of getting married?", she asked.

The brunette furrowed her brows at Ada, "I'm, I'm not sure. I want to get married soon, but we haven't talking about it.", she spoke absentmindedly.

Polly and Ada shared a look, Jess noticing.

"What?" She chuckled, "if you don't set the date you'll never get married.", barked Polly.

Jessy nodded in agreement, "I know I know." She stated, "but, with everything that has happened recently- I just haven't wanted to talk about it."

There was a sad silence in the dimly lit living room, "are you okay..with everything?" Asked Ada, twirling her thumb around the rim of the glass.

Jessy took a heavy breath, "yes, I guess.", the young woman could not find the words she needed, "I thought Finn would hate me but he's been nothing but supportive to me."

"Then why the fuck do you look so sad!" Groaned Polly, receiving a glare from Ada.

"Because, it is still awkward between us." She wearily spoke, "we haven't slept together since Bonni died and we found out about the baby." Jessy rubbed her stomach in sadness

Ada watched her best friend, feeling her heart break, "he probably just wants to give you your space." She reasoned.

"When you go home, if you want to have sex, try it on him to see if he is being weird.", Polly spoke with such bluntness that it brought a blush to Jessy's cheek.

Jess nodded, agreeing silently with the plan.

It was silent for a moment, none of them knowing what to say, "do you still love him?" Whispered out a concerned Polly.

Jess thought hard about that question, "I do." She confidently replied, "I've loved him since I came to Small Health years ago. When I was 19 and he was 18, and now he's 20 and I'm 21; I've loved him longer that you have my dad." She teased.

Polly threw her head back at the accusation, "he's a man now." She says as she stubs out the cigarette, "he wants a family with you and he'd wait till the end of time for it."

The gypsy girl had never fully comprehended how much she and Finn had grown up in just a few years, chuckling at the times they used to sneak around the betting den.

Jess felt her heart swell at what Polly had said, feeling like a poem had fell from her lips, "right then." Spoke up Ada, "who wants another drink, I know I do because I'm getting fucking gone!" She shouted at them.