VI

VI: Preparation

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time" Nick Fury started, speaking to them inside the house

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time" Nick Fury started, speaking to them inside the house. "My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of vibranium he's made off with, I don't think it's just one thing.

While he spoke, Natasha looked at Lila who handed her a drawing. Steve, leaning against the wall, spoke, "What about Ultron himself?"

"Oh, he's easy to track. He's everywhere. The guy is multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit" Nick said, "It still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though"

"Is he still going after launch codes?" Tony asked,

Lydia picked her head up from the table, listening to everyone. She also noticed how Lila kept looking at her while drawing, giving her small waves and giggling.

"Yes he is" Nick said, answering Tony. "But he's not making any headway."

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare" Tony said,

"Well I contacted our friends at the Nexus about that."

"Nexus?" Lydia asked,

"It's the world Internet hub in Oslo" Bruce answered, "Every byte of data flows through there. Fastest access on Earth."

"So what did they say?" Clint questioned

"He fixated on the missiles" Nick said, "But the codes are constantly being changed."

"By whom?" Tony asked. Nick answered with "Parties unknown"

"Do we have an ally?" Natasha asked, looking at Nick

"Ultrons got an enemy. That's not the same thing. Still I'd pay folding money to know who it is." Nick said

"I might need to visit Oslo. Find our unknown" Tony said

"Well, this is good times boss" Natasha started, "But I was kinda hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that"

"I do." Nick said, "I have you. Back in the day I had eyes everywhere. Ears, everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream up. Here we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit, and our will to save the world. Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission. And whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard."

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk" Natasha commented, making Lydia let out a small laugh

"You know what, Romanoff?" Steve started, then turned to Lydia, "Lydia Marie you're encouraging her"

"So what does he want?" Nick asked,

"To become better" Steve said, "Better than us. He keeps building bodies"

"Person bodies" Tony commented, "The human form is inefficient. Biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it."

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed" Natasha said

"They don't need to be protected" Bruce said, "They need to evolve. Ultrons going to evolve." suddenly he asked, "Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?"

------------------------------------------------------

Steve grabbed his shield, "I'll take Natasha and Clint."

"All right." Tony replied, "Strictly recon. I'll hit the Nexus. I'll join you as soon as I can."

"If Ultron's really building a body" Steve started, Tony continued, "He'll be more powerful than any of us. Maybe all of us."

"An Android designed by a robot. You know, I really miss the days when the weirdest thing science ever created was me." Steve signed

"I'll drop Banner off at the tower. You mind if I borrow Ms. Hill?" Nick asked

"She's all yours. Apparently"

"What are you gonna do?" Steve asked

"I don't know. Something dramatic I hope." Nick said

"I'm gonna finish reflooring that sunroom as soon as I get back" Clint said to Laura.

"Yeah then you'll find another part of the house to tear apart" Laura said

"No, it's the last project. I promise" He said, Laura's hand reaching for his face to give him a kiss.

Lydia, who had been upstairs with the kids, said goodnight to them, the two already took a strong liking to Lydia so when they asked Laura if she could help put them bed, Lydia and Laura couldn't say no.

"Will you come visit us? With Auntie Nat maybe?" Lila asked the girl, sitting up

"I will for sure and you know she'll always come visit when she can" Lydia promised, smiling at the two before leaving the room and going downstairs.

"They're waiting for you, but they're tucked in and ready to sleep" Lydia said softly to Laura as she met her at the end of the stairs.

"Thank you" Laura smiled, Lydia nodding her head at the woman before leaving.

-------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Not the most fun chapter sorry!

Word Count: 775

Written: June 18, 2021- June 28, 2021
Published: June 28, 2021