Chapter 1: Village

Thank you for 30,000 reads omg 🥺 I'm ao glad you guys are enjoting my fanfic 💙

----------

Cursing at her GPS, the young backpacker shoved the device into her bag and headed towards the village through the trees. She had no phone signal, and there didn't seem to be a speck of light on the trails she walked. Should have brought the map, Sierra cursed to herself, heaving her backpack on her shoulders as she continued on her way.

The village seemed almost deserted from a distance, and Sierra wondered if there was anyone even living there. The grass was overgrown in most places, and the buildings were in just fair shape. Sierra's steps slowed the closer she got. A sense of unease filled her heart as she glanced around before exiting the treeline. Something didn't fit right with her, but she was starving and exhausted from walking all day. She still had some snacks in her bag, but having a nice hot meal and a warm bed would do her just fine.

Sierra stepped through the long grass until she reached the dirt road leading to the center of the village. She could see lights in some of the houses, and finally, she saw some people wandering around. It took Sierra by surprise to see the women in dresses that looked like they belonged in the 1920s. They barely paid her any mind until she approached an older woman and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Excuse me," Sierra asked, "but do you know if there's a motel, or an inn, or even a bed and breakfast around here?"

The old woman turned to look at her and let out a gasp as she looked Sierra up and down. Sierra jumped at her reaction and held up her hands in defense, taking a step back. "An outsider," the old lady stammered, a hand clutching her chest. "Mother Miranda... she must know."

"Erh... Mother Miranda? Ma'am, I just want to rest somewhere..."

The old lady shook her head and stepped away from Sierra. "Outsiders are forbidden. She must know!" She turned and ran as fast as she could to a house, hollering about an outsider. A sinking feeling hit Sierra in the gut, and she chewed her lip nervously. When she looked around, she saw numerous other villagers staring, but once she looked their way, they all scurried off.

Okay, then, she thought to herself. Clutching the straps of her backpack, Sierra turned to leave the way she came. Best not bother to stick around this place. As she turned, she saw couple of the male villagers were walking towards her, and Sierra could tell by the looks on their faces that they did not mean well.

Sierra felt her heart begin to race, and she whirled around, taking off. Some of the men yelled at her, and she heard their heavy footsteps coming after her.
"LEAVE ME ALONE!" Sierra screamed as she dodged around broken fences and boxes to try and make it into the forest again. Due to the weight of her backpack, she was much slower than she wanted to be, but she dare not abandon it. All her money, her passport, clothes, and her phone were in there, not that the phone mattered. There hadn't been service for miles, and she had nobody to call for an emergency anyway. She didn't even know where she was.

Pain shot through Sierra's shoulders as one of the men grabbed her by the backpack and forced her to stop. She tried to shimmy out of the bag straps, but the other two men came around and grabbed her arms. "NO! LET ME GO!"

"Mother Miranda will be so happy," one of them said as they forced her to turn and walk back to the center of the village. "A new sacrifice for her."

"Or a maid for Lady Dimitrescu," another replied.

"She may be too unpure for the Lady."

As the men talked, Sierra struggled as hard as she could and screamed the whole time they made their way back, but nobody in the little town even looked in her direction. The men stopped by a small fountain in the middle of the village, and they wormed her out of the straps of her bag.