Chapter 3: Distractions

Sierra blinked as the sun beamed down onto her face the next morning. She somehow had managed to fall asleep during the night after hours of tossing and turning. The bedsheets and blankets smelled musty, but they weren't the worst thing she had slept on before. Sounds from all over the factory kept jerking her awake as she was on the cusp of falling asleep, and she hated every single second of it.

She rubbed her face as she sat up in the bed, looking around at the room. It took an extra few moments for her to really grasp where she was, and she sighed. I wish that was just a dream... she thought. The memories of the four Lords filled her mind, and she shivered.

Sierra grabbed her bag off the floor and took out her phone. The battery was almost dead, and, to no surprise, she had no messages. Nobody to check on her, nobody to ask how her trip was going... nobody to call and tell she was kidnapped by a group of crazy cult members. She tugged her charger out of her bag and plugged it into the wall, defeated. "So much for that."

She looked at the closed bedroom door, and she listened for a moment to the sounds of the factory. Machinery and steam echoed through the building, and even, just for a moment, she thought she heard Heisenberg yelling or speaking in the depths. She still had no idea why he kept her alive, or what his plans were.

Sierra sighed again and grabbed her cleanest clothes from her bag, and went to the bathroom. The inside of it seemed to be a lot cleaner than the bedroom, and the only real dirt was the stain inside the toilet and the bottom of the tub from hard water. She shut the door and locked it, and then began glancing around at all the nooks and crannies in the walls for anything that looked off.

After being sure there were no hidden devices, she began stripping herself of her clothes. They were dirty and sweat stained, and she scrunched her face as she set them in a pile on the toilet seat cover. She expected the water in the shower to be cold when she turned it on, but was grateful that it was steaming hot.

Sierra took a long time in there, cleaning and trying to mentally cope with her situation. She sat on the floor of the shower and remained there for the good part of half an hour, before she finally, and reluctantly, got up and stepped out to dry off. Slipping into her clothes, she went back and sat on the bed, and pulled out her sketchbook.

Sierra spent the next hour drawing out the three Lords from memory. She starts with Lady Dimitrescu, then Moreau, Angie, Mother Miranda, and then Heisenberg. Without even realizing it, she took the most time drawing him. She managed to get every detail of his face, his clothes, even his hammer. She had a knack for those kinds of details, the perks of having a photographic memory.

The door to her room opened, making her jump out of her skin. She shut her sketchbook and looked up, and she saw Lord Heisenberg watching her. "Well, good afternoon, buttercup," he smirked. "Sleep well?"

Sierra looked away from him and didn't answer. "Cold shoulder, huh?" he scoffed and shook his head, crossing his arms. "Look, I don't want you here either, but I was the one chosen to be stuck with you. I ain't gunna kill ya, so try and work with me here." His voice was surprisingly gentle, catching Sierra off guard. "Did you at least eat?"

Sierra finally lifted her gaze and looked at him, shaking her head. Heisenberg nodded and stepped out. "Right then." He disappeared from the doorway, and Sierra heard shuffling and clanking of dishes. She eyed the doorway and debated making a run for it, but before she had the chance, Heisenberg returned with a plate. On it, she saw a few pieces of buttered bread, and some pork chunks. "Here, it isn't much, but I also didn't expect to have guests."

He stepped into her room and held the plate out to her. Sierra looked at the food and then up at him, hesitating. Heisenberg rolled his eyes and offered it again. "It's not fucking poisoned." He takes a piece of the pork and eats it as an example, shrugging at her. "You mortals have to eat."