25

Shamir Miles

July 7, 2021
~~~

"Please just answer the phone, we want to know if you're safe."

Message deleted.

"Shamir I'm so fucking sorry about what I've said to you. I-I know you're probably pissed at me but I still care about your wellbeing and want you to know that I apologize for everything I've said to you."

Message deleted.

"Could you please give us a call? We just want to know if you're alive. It's been a five days, please, let someone know if you're okay. I love you, and I hope you respond to this message."

"Shit." I placed my hands on my head sighing. I sat up in my backseat and checked around for my whereabouts. I wasn't too far from home, I just needed to clear my head. My phone has been dead forever and I just got it charged.

I crawled to the front seat putting the keys in the ignition. I started the car up deciding today was the day to head back home. I wasn't one to hold grudges, so I just needed to let everyone know I'm okay and I'm cool if they're cool.
~~~

I knocked on the door rubbing my eyes tiredly. I felt embarrassed that I even had to do this but, fuck it.

"SHA!" Alexis screamed jumping in my arms. I hugged her back and she let me go before looking back at me. "I'm so happy you're alive."

"Yeah."

"Come in," She grabbed my hand, "I can't believe this. You don't even understand how happy you just made me."

"Who's at the- Shamir." Yani, Alexis mother, asked coming downstairs.

"Wassup."

"Shamir, it's good to see you. Alexis has been worried sick about you. I'll make breakfast while you go upstairs and shower. You look a mess."

"Mom!" Alexis shouted but I just laughed.

"It ain't like she lying." I shrugged, "Is my clothes still here?"

"Of course, come on." Alexis took my hand pulling me up the steps. Into her room we went and she closed the door. She opened her drawers pulling some of my belongings out. "Here, you know where the towels are."

"Thank you." I grabbed them and she stopped me.

"I'm-" She sighed, "I'm sorry. I know we have been rocky but-"

"Its straight." I cleared my throat and she nodded.

"Um, well, glad you're here."

I gave her a nod before going across the hall to shower.
~~~

"So, where were you staying?" Yani asked.

"In my car."

"Why not just come here? You know we have extra room and-"

"I know, but I needed some space from everyone. I had the money for a hotel but I'm saving right and it's just a lot." I stated picking over my food.

"Well Shamir, I've known you for about five years or so, and I think you are a very intelligent young man. You have a lot of potential, but you're going about your life the wrong way."

"Mẹ!" Alexis shouted in vietnamese.

"It's straight, and I understand. You're right Ms. Tran, I have a lot to figure out." I said causing her to nod.

"Well you know if you need a place to stay we're here. Now I'm gonna excuse myself from the table. I'm off to work, see you later sweetheart and Sha, remember what I said." Yani smiled before walking out of the kitchen.