Chapter 38 - Confrontation

The Unbreakable Vow was a type of cast between two parties, that if broken by either party, will result in the imminent of whoever broke the contract. What could Draco's mission possibly be that his mother feared for him enough to go to Snape for help? 

When Harry told the Order of this over holiday break, they reassured us that Snape was acting under Dumbledore's orders to try and figure out the mission. I wasn't convinced and if Snape was, he wasn't going a good job since Draco denied his help.

"Enough about Snape, Crescent, let's talk about you and Draco," my mother's eyes bore into mine. She never used my full name unless she was furious was me. "I thought we agreed before the term that you would stop talking to him?"

I couldn't say otherwise because I had agreed. A small "yea," escaped my lips.

"So why didn't you go through with it? You even took him to a party as a date!" My mother exclaimed, bewildered. "He seems to be causing you more pain and hurt now that you're together compared to when you two were enemies, what's so hard about going back to those days? Have you forgotten how he treated you and your friends back then? Or might I remind you that his father is in Azkaban because of us?-"

"Can't you see?" I stood up and looked around the room, all the eyes were on me. Lupin, Aunt Molly, my friends... "Can't all of you see that I just can't go back to hating him? It's not as easy as you all think!" 

I kicked my chair back and ran out the door, hoping they didn't see my tears. I heard my mother after me but I ignored her and locked the door behind me as I fell onto my bed, burying my face in my pillow.

Why couldn't I go back to hating him? Even after all the things he's done to me? Maybe its because of everything he's done for me.

Hermione unlocked the door with her wand and came in to sit next to me. "Heartbreak is the worst feeling," she said after a while of listening to me sniff.

"Yes...he can break it a hundred times over and I'll still love him," I looked up at the ceiling, trying trying prevent any more tears tonight.

I thought about Trelawney and her prophecy and then Moaning Myrtle and her words. Ironically, she knew what Draco and I were feeling the best out of anyone. We both confided in her and she never told a single soul.

He'll be there to catch your fall, as long as you're not falling out of love, she said. Oh but, what if he is?

~~~

I hugged close to the side of the hallway as I tiptoed behind him, just close enough to keep his shadow in my view. After the holidays, I had found Draco growing even more distant than before, and I was determined to find what his mission was. 

As he approached the empty corridor on the seventh floor, he paced back and forth three times before a door formed on the wall and he glanced cautiously around before slipping into it. I followed quickly behind, catching the door last second and stepping through. I knew where we were: the Room of Requirement. So that's where he disappeared to so often now. I had barely seen in him the Great Hall or with his friends in the hallways this year.

However, it looked a lot different than it did last year. Piles of junk towered up to the ceiling, there was just about anything you could think of stashed away in this secret room which looked like it extended on forever. This was more than the Room of Requirement, it was the Room of Hidden Things. What might Draco be hiding in here? 

When I looked back towards the entrance, I realized that I had wandered too deep in. Frowning, I retraced my steps but instead of ending up at the exit, I ran right into Draco.