Chapter 44 - Loyalties

Draco's POV

I thought they were able to kill her, but father put his hand on my arm, warning me not to step in. I was so frantic in the moment that I almost didn't hear Snape whisper, "Imperio."

Then, there was silence, and the gleam in her eyes dimmed and she turned to fully face Voldemort, the words, "My Lord," leaving her mouth.

"My Lord," she repeated, her blue eyes, although now gleaming with burning menace in an intense and terrifying way, felt ice cold. Her voice didn't even waver, there was no sign of fear as she bowed down to Voldemort.

Voldemort turned back to the table, laughing brilliantly. "Look, Crescent Whitewing, the daughter of Aurors, now working for us," he pulled her face up so that he could take a better look at her. "Their reactions will be priceless..."

Cress didn't hesitate to reply, "Absolutely, My Lord," she grinned with such confidence only someone like Bellatrix could muster before the Dark lord.

Voldemort nodded at Snape, "I know I can can always count on you for ideas like these, Severus" he complimented. "Unlike some others," he added, his gaze flickering to my father. 

"Yes, quite clever," Bellatrix purred, running her fingers along her wand, delighted as she cautiously approached Cress. "Although, I would have loved to have the honor of killing Whitewing," she noted.

"As you please," Snape bowed his head. I felt anger flare up in me. He had given Voldemort that idea? To place her under the Imperius curse and treat her like a puppet until he defeated Voldemort? 

"Well, Crescent, how do you like the honor of becoming a Death Eater," Voldemort paced around her. "To serve me besides your 'beloved'," he mocked.

I found myself shaking my head, not that she even looked my way once since Snape had her until his spell. There was no way she would ever agree to that.

"I'd love to, without a doubt," she practically sang, her eyes finally found my mine. They betrayed no emotion, empty and unrecognizing.

"Well, we cannot move too fast with that now...I shall see to giving you the Mark in the future," Voldemort said, still examining her like she was his new experiment. "Against us, you are a dangerous enemy, but with us, I trust you will be an excellent ally."

I felt my heart drop. I wanted us to be together, but not like this. I'd rather us stand on separate paths than see her forced to act under Snape's orders. I had to find a way to get her out of this.

End of Draco's POV

Cress's POV

I came back to my senses, facing Snape in a part of the Manor that I did not recognize. "What have you done?" I cried.

"Lower your voice. Would you rather have died?" Snape replied rather kindly.

I was about to retort when I realize what he just done. Standing before me was no longer the Portions Professor Snape I knew. "Whose side are you really on? Did you save my life because of Draco or something else?" 

He offered no answer to my question. "I will not keep you under the Imperius Curse, but you will need to act your part, Crescent." his black eyes stared into mine. "Even Draco."

My shoulders slumped. "Why? I know he won't tell anyone..."

"Do as I say if you want to stay alive and stay with him," Snape said very seriously. "When time comes, it will all work out...and don't think about escaping because you won't get a second chance if you're caught again," Down the hall, there was a creak of the door and Snape disappeared in a blink of an eye.