Taesana: Stay

(ship requested by itssssmegaaaa & God_Jihyo2139)

*Slight angst

(Concept: Taehyung and Sana are dating in a long-term relationship. Taehyung is ill, but he doesn't want Sana to worry about him)

(Taehyung POV)

I cried for hours when they told me the odds. I cried and then put on a smile to deceive everyone. I didn't want them to know. I didn't want them to worry.

It was getting worse. I could feel it. I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I had a bad feeling.

I had been trying to stay positive. It was hard, but Sana always made me feel better. I didn't want her to worry about me, so I went to my screening alone, and I lied to her about where I was going.

I tried to stay positive while I was waiting for the results. The doctor said I could have a tumor. I went to the screening so they could check.

I was with Sana when I got the phone call about my results. I had to step away.

"This is really good, baby. You made all of this?" We were having dinner together. She had cooked for us all evening.

"Mhm. I know you like this so I made extra." She smiled.

"You're so thoughtful." I kissed her, "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

My phone started ringing in my pocket.

"Oh, I gotta take this. I'll be right back, baby." I told her.

"Okay. Take your time." She said.

They gave it to me fast and clear. It felt like they had ripped a bandaid off that had been sitting on my skin for months.

I had a tumor.

They told me it was brain tumor.

I had to start treatment as soon as possible and I had no choice but to tell Sana. I knew this day was coming sooner or later.

"A tumor..?" She asked.

I nodded.

"What does that mean...for you?"

I shook my head, "I don't know, Sana, but will you come with me?" I was scared.

She nods before hugging me, "Of course. I'll be there with you. I'll be by your side no matter what."

It was a long process. A process where we couldn't see the end.

Was there an end?

An end, other than my death? It seemed uncertain.

The doctors said I was lucky we caught it while I was still young. If I was a few years older, it would be harder for me to recover.

I was scared. I've seen many cases where brain tumors were a death sentence. I didn't want to say it, but I knew we were all thinking it.

I had to have surgery so they could remove a piece of my skull and hopefully remove the tumor. I felt a bit better after they told me the tumor was in a good place for them to extract it. I still had a good chance.

Sana stayed with me as much as she could. I could tell she was scared too.

We talked about a lot of things while I was in the hospital. We tried to keep positive, but it was hard.

"Why didn't you tell me if you knew sooner?" She asks.

"I didn't want you worrying about me. I didn't know it was gonna be this bad." I started tearing up.

"I just wish I knew so we could've done so much more."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"I'm not gonna leave you, Sana. Even if it's against my will, I'm gonna find a way. Somehow."

I truly believed I would make it.

Before they put me to sleep for my surgery, Sana and I had another talk.

"It's gonna be okay. You're in good hands." She told me.

"I'm gonna be okay." I say, "And you're gonna be there when I wake up?"

She nods, holding my hand, "I'll be there. I promise. I love you, Taehyung."

"I love you, Sana."

I closed my eyes and dozed off.

I woke up five hours later in a different room. I was still numb, but I was conscious.

I didn't have the strength to move my head, but out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Sana. She was asleep in a chair in the corner of the room. She must've been waiting for me to wake up.

I stayed still. I felt tired and I couldn't move, but it was over. The nurse noticed I was awake and they explained everything.

Since my tumor was only a grade I tumor, they were able to completely remove it. My body wasn't the same and I had to go through rehabilitation to recover.

Sana and I...we both cried after we both woke up. We didn't say anything for a while. We just sat there, crying, gazing into each other's eyes while she stroked my face.

I had to stay in the hospital for a while longer, but Sana still stayed with me. She was always there for me.

The day I was discharged from the hospital and I was able to go home, that was when I knew I was okay.

I knew things wouldn't be the same, but at least one thing never changed.

She was with me from beginning to end. She meant everything to me.

Slowly, we were able to go back to doing the things we loved.

It took time, but we were willing to wait for each other.