CABIN 12 CHAPTER ONE

Cabin 12

“I’m sorry sweetheart, but momma knows best.” My mother told me as we drove down the freeway towards the place i’ve been dreading since May. 

“I know you have good intentions, momma, but was it really necessary to send me to a so-called behavioral camp?” I said, gathering my headphones and phone charger and putting them in my new purse. 

“Did you forget what you did?” She asked, slowing down as we descended a hill. 

“Okay, so a girl breaks into a school system to change her grades to please her perfect parents and she’s suddenly branded for life?” I exasperated. 

“Maybe if you were actually home to help me with school, I wouldn’t have felt the need to deface school property.” I said. She rolled her eyes and pulled into the turn towards the camp. 

“It’s only a little over three weeks, hon. You’ll be fine.” She said as she pulled up to the loading zone, behind some other cars. She helped me unload all my bags, my white converse high-tops digging into the auburn dirt as I walked. My white Hollister booty-shorts contrasted nicely against my semi-tan skin. I bent over to fix my shoelaces, shivering slightly. Thank god I wore my Gryffindor sweater, I thought to myself. 

“Hey baby, are you wearing space pants, cause that ass is out of this world!” A strange, but very attractive boy yelled at me across the loading zone. 

“No, they’re baseball pants, because this ass is out of your league.” I shouted back. His friends yelled and shook him, causing him to grimace and cuss them out. How cliche.

“Nice.” My mom said as she high-fived me. I stifled the smile that was attempting to shine through. I ran my fingers through my long blonde hair, the small pieces of black showing with my curls. 

“Well,” My mom sighed. “I guess this is it.” She said. I could feel the burn in my nose and eyes, dear god, please don’t let me cry

“It’s okay, mommy, I’ll see you in a few weeks, and i’ll call you every night.” I said. She nodded and wiped her tears, before pecking my forehead. 

“I love you, Nova. Be on your best behavior. Don’t forget your please and thank you’s!” My mom yelled. I smiled and waved at her, before walking into the main foyer. 

“Welcome! I am Alaska, and that is my husband Jack.” She smiled, gesturing to the man across the room.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Nova.” I smiled. She shook my hand, her dazzling wedding ring catching my eye. 

“Oh my god, is that Tiffany?” I whispered, eyeing it closer. “Sorry, I love designer.” I laughed. She laughed with me, before nodding. 

“Yes, actually. My husband has good taste.” She smiled. She gave me a map of the camp, circling which cabin was mine. After listening to Alaska and Jack list off the rules to my fellow campmates, we all left to go find out cabins.