The World Doesn't Have To Be Dangerous

Wordlessly, Colourful hurried out of the room, still carrying Lyphe in his arms. I was hesitant to, but ended up following him to her room, where he lied her in bed. The shadow creatures were showing up again, but they kept flickering in and out of existence. They only watched us too, they made no noises or movement.

"Is she okay?" I asked.

He moved her hair out of her face. "She will be," he answered, checking her head.

Her sweater has gotten a lot more worn and dirty since when we first left, and she has cuts all over her bare skin.

He then left a gentle kiss on her forehead, the cuts on her face suddenly fading. He looked around the room, glancing at every shadow creature as he did. "Though I'm gonna have a cow with these 'dentities for some days."

He carefully grabbed her arm and examined it, then left another kiss on her hand.

"She'll heal fine, rest is going to be more important."

While he didn't leave any more kisses, he examined the rest of her limbs

"If anything I'm worried how her heads going to be for the next few days," he murmured. Before I could ask, he turned towards me. "How are you both doing?"

"I'm okay," I answered. The worst that's wrong is I'm still a bit shaken up.

I turned around to go check on Alixe, but she was already standing in the doorway. I didn't even notice her following. Her arms were crossed.

"Fine," she murred. Looking away, she hesitantly continued, "thank you for saving us."

"Of course, I wouldn't want you kiddos getting hurt, especially over something so stupid." He looked over at Lyphe and grimaced. He made his way towards the door, shooing us out along the way, and closing the door behind him. He turned towards us then put his hands on his hips and demanded, "What took you so long to call for me anyhow?!"

I quickly shrunk down.

"We panicked!" Alixe retorted.

"That could've ended a lot worse for all three of you if you took any longer to call out you know."

"Well, it's not exactly our fault. I never had someone to yell for help to, how was I supposed to remember in the middle of being chased?" She crossed her arms and turned away.

Colourful paused, unnaturally long for him. He was struggling to find something to say to that.

I looked to the found and murmured my explanation, "I lost my voice, I'm sorry." I nervously rubbed my arm.

He then sighed and placed a hand on both our heads. "Look, I don't blame either of you for what happened, I'm sorry if it came out that way. I just don't want anything to happen to you kiddos." He dropped his hands and stood up straight. "If I'm upset with anyone it's Lyphe. I know she knows better than to stay silent. And I don't know what kind of lives you both had before; I don't expect you to learn that quick you have someone to call out for." He leaned against the door and crossed his arms. His voice grew sombre. "But please try to remember you can call for me in the future. You do have someone to run to now, okay? And I'll always help. I'll always let you in."

Hearing his speech, I smiled bittersweetly. It's strange having someone care so much, but I fully invite it. "Thank you," I quietly say.

However, Alixe stayed quiet.

"I don't think you had ever introduced yourself to me," Colourful spoke to Alixe. "What do you call yourself?"

"AJ," she murmured.