Neve or Eve?

"What?" I ask. I really don't like Man-woman.

"Hov are ju?" it asks.

"Okay, if we're going to have a conversation, could you speak English?"

She grows visibly sad. "I am speaking English," she says slowly. Those words are the clearest he ever spoken.

"Also, what are you?"

He grows confused. "Vat do ju mean?"

"Are you a boy or girl?" I finally offended it. Why am I still talking?

"Is it veally hard to tell?"

"It is very hard to tell. You could pass as both."

"I am a man!"

"How often do people confuse your gender?"

"Could we juz drop zis?" he asks. "I'd vather not talk avot my gender."

Now for my next question then. "What's your ethnicity?"

"Vat?"

"You know. What's your nationality? Race? You do not seem or sound like anything I know."

"Vat is wit' all of zese personal kestions?"

"So I know what kind of people to avoid in the future." I swore I didn't mean to say that.

"Ju are so rude! I zon't even know vhy I try talking vith you."

I don't know why I'm talking with you either. "So what are you?" I ask again.

"If ju really must know, I am German. Can ve drop zis now?!"

He's like a bad stereotype of an even worse stereotype. There's no way he's really German, is there? "Fine." I wrap the blanket around me a little more.

"Ju like the blanket?"

"I guess."

"Vat is your nam?"

"What is a 'Nam'?"

"Name," he corrects.

"Then say name, not nam. You already know my name."

"Lizzy," he says.

"Liz," I firmly say. If someone is going to give me a weird nickname, it's not going to be Manwoman.

He smiles big. I sware if he starts calling me Lizzy. . .

"What?" I ask.

"I'm Neve." I don't think I heard him right. I'm hoping he instead said he's Eve.

I glare at him. His smile vanishes. "Vy do ju hate me?"

I become a little surprised. "I don't hate you," I say. "I'm just. . . not liking you?"

"Vy?"

He's really annoying. "I can't tell you."

He becomes puzzled. "Vy?"

"I'm too thirsty." It was the first thing that came into my mind. This puzzles him even more. I push myself off the wall and walk to the sink, which is next to the fridge and trashcan. When passing the can Toby never picked up, I decided to pick it up and throw it away myself.

"Toby is like zat. It's very anoy'z'ing."

I don't care. "Where are the cups?" I ask, looking at him.

He jumps up from his chair and comes over. I just want to know, I can get the cup myself. He opens a cabinet and hands me a cup. I don't want to take it, but I do anyway.

"Thanks," I mumble. I fill the cup with water and drink from it.

"Vy arz ju so smoll?" he asks, putting a hand on my head. I'm slowly understanding him better I noticed.

Can you just ask someone that? I swat his hand off. "Why are you so weird?" I ask in return.

"I'm not veird."

"Then I'm not small." I drink more water but have to stop for I start coughing. I almost forgot about the side effects from the fire. I have to hold onto the counter for a moment.

When I finish, he asks, "Are ju okay?"

I notice something about my hand, the one covering my mouth. "Yeah," I say. I open my hand and examine it. The stuff I saw on it earlier seemed to have thickened and spread. Half of my palm is yellow, the green between my thumb and index finger grew and thickened, and now there is some red going to my fingers. It is spreading. What does that mean for me? It's flexible, so I can still open and close my hand with ease, however, I can tell it definitely thickened. The colours right now are very noticeable.

Man-woman wanted to see what I was looking at. Not long after at all, he pushed himself back and tripped over himself. I give him a weird look. "Something wrong?" I ask.

"N-no," he lies.

I look at my hand, then face the palm towards him. "Do you not like paint?" I ask.

"No- um, I mean-" he jumps up. "Vactually, I zink I should go zoo bed nov. G'night." He rushes off out of the kitchen

"Where do I sleep?" I ask before he leaves.

He pokes his head back towards me. "I von't know. Floor?" he then leaves. Seems like I'm not the only one who's rude.

I look at my hand. Is it contagious? Does it really kill you? I become slightly afraid.

"Do you regret not listening to me now?"

I jumped at the sudden voice. It takes me a moment to realise it's Demon. "No," I say, examining my hand. Some of the green spread to the back of my hand.

"You surely will here soon."

"Why?"

"You'll figure it out. Let's look around the place."

"Do we have to?" I ask.

It's too easy to get a headache at this point. It seems as if I just have to tick off Demon.

"What do you mean ' "Do we have to?" '!"

"Tired," is all I mumble.

"I don't care. I want to see around this place!"

"I don't care. I'll do that in the morning." With that, I sit on the floor.

With this, my headache grows and he curses me out. I don't give in, though. I lay on the ground.

"Could you at least sleep on the couch?" He demands.

I actually consider it for a moment. I probably angered him enough- maybe I should make him not hate me.

With that, I stand back up and make way to the front room.