Lovely Conversation

She never showed up. I'm really worried she already left, or there's another door in here I missed she left through.

I generally don't care f something were to happen to my books- honestly- but Grammy gave me that one. Besides, I hate the idea that someone took my book just so they could sell it.

After a long time, I was getting bored sitting in there, waiting. But I kept strong. Even if it is really really boring.

I eventually noticed that the person in here with me- Oliver- is no longer sleeping. He's just sadly lying there, starring at a wall.

I want to talk to him, seeing he's awake. Should I, though? He's obviously sad, so I don't really want to bother him if he doesn't want to be talked to. Plus I really like him so far- he's nice. There's another reason I don't want to bother him.

You know what, though? Whatever.

"What's wrong?" I ask. It only took a second to realise that probably wasn't the best way to start. His kid is kidnapped by the other people.

He glances at me before looking back at the ceiling, sighing. "I'm just. . . frustrated I guess," he solemnly answers, his British accent strong.

I take a moment, thinking about what to say without being on or near topic of his kidnapped kid.

"Can I ask why?"

I was surprised he answered. "I don't know what to do, if I could even do something."

I can't help but let out a small chuckle. "Don't I know how that feels."

"Why are you familiar with it?"

A few examples immediately came to mind. Parent's divorce, Grammy and her medication, the fire at Lime's, finding Blue. I didn't answer- I just half-heartedly laughed.

Nothing was said for a moment. I try thinking of more to say, still wanting to talk. He beat me to it.

"What about you?" He asks. "Is something wrong?"

I didn't know what to say at first. "What?" Was all I said.

He quickly apologised. "You're in here doing nothing, so I just supposed something happened to you, too."

"Well, kinda," I admit, "But it's stupid." I lost a book, he lost a kid. Isn't it stupid when compared like that?

"Well, I get said over nothing. It can't be stupider than that."

While that made it more comfortable to tell him, it still felt stupid. "Someone just stole my book. It's nothing, though."

Annoyance crossed his face as he sits up, his hair covering his eyes. "Did she have a kinda blue hair colour? Long?"

I take it she has a history of stealing things from others.

"What would she want with a book?" He then asks, brushing his bangs aside.

"She wanted to sell it. I have no clue why."

"Was it valuable or something?"

I scoffed. "It can't be. It just talks a bunch about some place called Nowhere." An odd silence fell. "Did I say something weird?" I had to ask.

"You're in some place called Nowhere," he said with a funny smile.

"Is it really?" I've heard it several times before- why do I still not believe that this town is Nowhere? All Oliver does is nod.

"Are you new here?"

"Why does everyone ask that?" I ask back. "Yes, I am."

"There's a lot about Nowhere that isn't going to make sense if you're new here."