Rightful Romance

1994

1994

It was your mom's birthday a.k.a another reason for her to have all these people you've never seen in your life, and some you haven't seen in years, taking up all the space in your house.

You've been tied up in pointless conversations all day with your mother's friends. You couldn't count how many times someone came up to you commenting on 'how much you've grown' and how they 'remember when you were just a baby'.

The only people you actually knew and were around on a daily basis out of everyone here were your grandmother and your mom's best friend who you refer to as Ms. Anne.

Your mom didn't have any siblings, so it wasn't like you had any cousins on her side to keep you company at the moment. And your father's side of the family was unable to make it since they lived some hours away.

You fake laughed at one of your mother's coworkers bad jokes before politely dismissing yourself. You had enough socializing for the day, and were just about ready to get out of the house all together until everyone was gone.

You rushed upstairs to your bedroom, changing out of the outfit your mom forced you to wear and putting on something more comfortable.

You hurried back downstairs and headed for the front door before your parents could spot you leaving.

You walked out of the house, shutting the door behind you and releasing a breath you didn't know you were holding in.

"Finally." You muttered and walked down the stairs of your front porch, bumping into Nas who was seated on the steps.

He kissed his teeth as the weed he was sprinkling into his blunt fell on to his lap.

"Ayo, you don't see me sittin' here? Say excuse me." He retorted giving you a mean mug.

"Oh please." You cut your eyes and waved him off, continuing your walk.

Nas was Ms. Anne's son, that was the only reason why he was here. She thought dragging him to the party would give you someone to keep you entertained who was around your age. She was wrong.

Ms. Anne and your mom swear up and down you and Nas are close friends just like they are. Surely, you guys were close at one point when you were children. But now it seemed as though you both could care less about each other's existence. You have lives of your own and at this point, you were just two people who knew each other because your parents are besties.

"Where you goin'?" Nas got up, dusting off the mess on his pants and followed behind you.

"Taking a walk." You replied. "Needed to get away from all those people for a minute." You wanted to take your stroll by yourself but you could tell Nas was just as bored as you were, so you didn't mind him tagging along.