New Kid On The Block | Pt. 1

1993

1993

It's been four years since Nas had last been in Queensbridge. He was sent away when he was 15 years old by his mother to go live in Mississippi with his father.

His mother wasn't fond of Nas' early life decisions and was afraid of where or how he'd end up if he stayed in New York.

Nas was against the whole idea of leaving but his mother promised that if he finished high school in Mississippi, away from all the bad influences he had around him, she would let him come back.

So that's what he did. Nas was never a dumb kid. His intelligence threatened a lot of people when he went to live with his father. His parents knew what their son was capable of, and that's why they didn't want the street life distracting him.

Nas focused on his books and graduated with flying colours. But he also found a new passion for poetry, which eventually turned into his love for music and rapping.

Nas has only been back in New York for three days. He was slowly adapting back to the lifestyle over here. Not much has changed since he left, however, he was just hoping that the friends he left behind would have evolved from the madness on the streets.

Him and his boys were currently chilling outside, smoking blunts and telling Nas stories about all the crazy shit that they got themselves into these past few years.

Nas inhaled the herbs from his joint and shook his head. Hearing about who ended up in jail and who ended up dying had him secretly thanking his mom for making the decision that she made.

"Aye but yo.. enough of all that. What was goin' on with you down in Mississippi?" One of Nas' friends Havoc, asked him as Nas passed him the blunt.

"Shit.. nothin' really." Nas shrugged. "Apart from finishing school, I started writin' rhymes."

"Word?" All his niggas recited in unison, looking at him in shock.

"Son let's hear somethin'!" Prodigy, another one of Nas' boys, encouraged him while everyone else did the same.

Nas chuckled, waving his hands out in front of him. "Nah, nah. Y'all chill. Y'all ain't ready to hear all that just yet."

"Aw this nigga's scared." Prodigy joked as Nas waved him off.

"Never that, b." Nas responded. "I got y'all next time."

You and your best friend, Erica, walked out of the building and past the boys. They immediately stared the both of you down as Erica acknowledged Prodigy, who she's been crushing on for god knows how long.