Opposites Attract

"Congrats again, Jess

"Congrats again, Jess. You're really making big moves out here!" You and your home girls were currently out celebrating one of your closest friends recent job promotion. Jessica was granted a higher position with an even higher salary. You were very proud of her accomplishments. For as long as you've known her, she's always stuck to her word and worked hard to be where she was today. Anything she wanted, she went for it.

Jess was one of your inspirations. You hoped to one day be in the higher ranks just like her. You had plans on giving college another chance so you could finally retire from stripping and create a better life for yourself.

You didn't want to become a dancer, but it seemed like it was the fastest way to get a decent amount of money at the time when you became one. Your older sister was struggling with a drug addiction, leaving her to abandon your niece. You had to take up the responsibility to raise her yourself. No one else in your family was around to help out. Your parents moved back to your hometown, Louisiana, when you and your sister got older and were able to start living on your own.

You loved your niece with every bone in your body, but it was really hard raising a child. You wanted to kick your sister's ass everyday for leaving her... and you. You always prayed for your sister, hoping that wherever she was, she was safe and that she would clean herself up and come back home to her daughter soon.

The hookah smoke exhaled smoothly through your mouth before you took a sip of your wine. Jessica was feeling real boujee tonight and decided that this fancy five star lounge would be perfect for her celebration.

"Excuse me?" Jessica stopped one of the waitresses that was walking by. "Can we get another bottle of wine and one more order of shrimp cocktails, please?"

"Of course. I'll be right back." The waitress happily obliged.

In the midst of you talking amongst yourselves, you looked down at your outfit before observing your friends' own fits for the night. "I should've worn something else. Y'all lookin' all classy and shit, and I'm here dressed like I just woke up."

You were the only one in casual clothing, sporting a white crop top with a denim jacket over it and some tight blue jeans.

"Y/N, stop. You look fine. You're not even a 'heel and dress' type of girl anyway." Your other friend, Raquel, reminded you. "Besides, those jeans you got on are you hugging you perfectly girl! Who's man you tryna steal up in here?!"

You smacked your lips and playfully waved her off. "Raq, please." You chuckled.

"She's right, though. I think you look great." An unfamiliar voice caught both you and your girls off guard.

You all looked up, seeing a caramel toned man carrying the shrimp cocktails and wine that Jessica ordered. You examined his features; chinky almond eyes, and a mole on the left side of his face with thee sharpest hair cut. The sleeves on his white dress shirt that was topped with a black vest over it were slightly rolled up, revealing the artwork he had tattooed on his forearms.