Eight🍎

The next morning I woke up at 6 am and went downstairs and Clara already had breakfast ready

The next morning I woke up at 6 am and went downstairs and Clara already had breakfast ready. She handed me two bacon biscuits.

I grabbed two containers of orange juice and headed out to the stable. I figured Luke was already out there and sure enough he was checking on the heifer and her baby.

"Morning Luke," I said yawning.

"Morning Poppy!" He smiled.

"I brought you a bacon biscuit and an orange juice," I said handing it to him.

"Thanks, I'm really hungry this morning." He said.

"So now I have to go Wednesday and autograph all of those boxes of lashes." I rolled my eyes.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you do something you don't want to." He said.

"It's fine Luke and you know why?" I laughed.

"Why is that Poppy?"

"Because you are going with me and help. I've already cleared it with mom and dad." I laughed.

"You what? What could I possibly do to help with your signing?" He asked.

"Not sure yet. Maybe wear a pair and model?" I laugh.

"Oh hell no I'm not doing that." He laughed.

"Well, maybe you can hand me boxes as I sign. What did your mom say?" I asked.

"She was excited to get hers but she said she's coming down Wednesday to buy some." He said finishing his biscuit.

"If your still hungry Clara made plenty of biscuits," I said.

"No, I'm good and appreciate you bringing it to me. Brennon told me last night that one of the ewes was ready to pop so we should probably bring her up here and put her in a stall and be prepared to sit all day." He said.

"Well, let's go check her out and bring her up here. Let's take the wagon with us." I said.

Luke hooked up the wagon behind the side by side and we drove down to the corral where the ewes were at and Brennon had put a pink color on her back so we would know which one.

We got her into the wagon and headed back to the stable. We got her in the stall and made her comfy and just sit down in the corner on a blanket to watch her.

Around lunchtime, my stomach was growling. "I'm going to text dad and ask him to bring us some lunch," I said.

"Yeah, I hear your stomach, and it's angry." He laughed.

"Hush! And focus on that ewe. Does she look like she's ready?" I asked.

"Not really. Was Brennon pulling our leg or what?" He asked.

"No, he wouldn't do that because he knows we have a bunch of things to do, and what we don't get done feed wise he has to do it," I said as I texted dad.

📱 Be right there with some lunch. No lamb yet?

📱 Thanks, dad! No nothing yet.

"Dad is bringing us lunch yay!" I said looking over at him.

"I've never seen a girl like food as you do. Most won't even eat in front of a guy." He said.

"Not me. I don't care what anyone thinks about me." I said.

"I like that about you Poppy. You give no shits."

"I get that from my dad. Mom worries about her image but I understand that with who she is." I said.

"I get that too." He said just as dad walked in.

Dad walked in with a bag full of food. "Clara sent you guys a bunch of stuff."

"Thanks, dad we are hungry," I said.

"How is she doing?" Dad asked.

"So far things are calm that's why we decided to wait it out," I said.

"Yeah her udders are engorged, swollen, and slightly red as well as her vulva," Luke said.

"Well sounds like you guys have it all figured out. Holler if you need something." Dad said before leaving.

I opened the bag and Clara had made us turkey subs and gave us some bags of chips and a candy bar and a couple of cans of pop and some water.

"Clara always hooks us up doesn't she?" Luke asked.

"Always. I have never made my own meal." I laugh.

We eat and Luke went threw the trash away and when he walked back the Ewe was making noises and she stood up and the front of her hips looked hollow.

"Luke I think it's time," I said.

"I think your right Poppy. Why don't you deliver them and I'll be your sidekick." He said.

I got behind her as the first lamb made it's appearance in the world. We gave high fives and got ready for the next one.

The ewe was licking the little lamb while she pushed out another one.  Once she was done I checked her stomach.

We knew there were only two from the x-ray we had did on her earlier but we stayed around to watch them and make sure she cleaned them off and let them, nurse.

We sit back down on the blanket. "I feel like a proud mom. Thanks for letting me take over Luke." I smiled over at him.

"You're more than welcome. I'm happy I could do this with you." He said.

"You know I was mad when dad hired you because I thought you were going to take over and there would be no room for me but I think we work well as a team," I said.

"I think we do too." He smiled.

We watched the Ewe with her lambs for another thirty minutes before heading out of the stables to check on the other animals.

"Do you ride these horses?" He asked.

"Oh yeah just haven't had the chance to in a few days. We have the evening free want to go ride?" I asked him.

"That sounds fun." He smiled.

"We usually ride them down to the swimming hole and let them cool off. It's not that far away." I said.

"I need to run in the house but I'll meet you back here in ten minutes?" He asked.

"Sounds good. I'm going to let dad know where we are going." I said.