Six🍎

We were in for a long night

We were in for a long night. After four hours of waiting dad came and brought us snacks.

We sit down on the blanket and drank the water and eat sandwiches that Clara made.

"Clara really can cook anything cant she? Even sandwiches she makes so good." He said.

"That's because Clara makes her own ingredients and spices."

"Really Poppy? No wonder it's so good." He said taking another bite of his sandwich.

A couple more hours pass and I guess I fell asleep but when the heifer made a noise I jerked awake and we had our heads together.

Luke jerked his head off of mine and jumped up and ran over to the heifer.

"I think it's time Poppy." He said.

I jumped up and went over and was prepared to help him deliver the baby calf if need be.

The heifer moved around a little and then the calf fell out onto the floor covered in hay.

We watched as the mother licked and cleaned up the calf and then Luke gives me a high five. "Another one in the books."

"We make a pretty good team Luke." I laugh.

We sit back down on the blanket and watch as momma and baby bond.

"Do you think that's how our moms were when we were born?" He asked.

"Oh you know they were I mean besides licking the goo off of us." I laugh.

"Oh gross." He laughed.

We sit and watch for another hour when I couldn't stop yawning.

"Why don't you go on to bed and I'll stay here and watch her a little longer." He said.

"No, if you stay I'll stay. It's just another hour." I shrugged.

We leaned back against the hay bales and watched the sun come up through the stable as the calf was nursing.

"Looks like our work here is done." He said.

"I'm so tired I don't think I can move from this spot. Maybe I'll just sleep right here." I said.

"You can't stay here. You can come back to my house if you want. It's closer than the main house." He said.

"Do you want my dad to kill you?" I asked.

"Yeah better not. Ok, do you want me to carry you up the main house?" He asked.

"And get you shot? No way." I said.

"That's just as bad as dead. So you better take your butt in the house and go to bed and I'll see you later." He said standing up.

He grabbed my hand and helped me up and we walked out of the stable together.

"Text me if anything good happens otherwise I'll be out for a while and I think dad and some of my uncles can do the feeding shift," I said.

"Let me know if they can't and I'll do it." He said.

"Hell no! We have been up all night we deserve to sleep. See you later Luke." I said walking toward the house.

"Goodnight Poppy!" He said walking in the other direction.

When I walked into the house dad started questioning me about everything.

"We have a new calf... I'm going to bed I'm beat and well so is Luke so if you guys wouldn't mind doing the feed that would be great." I said heading upstairs.

"You got it, sweetheart," Dad called out.

When I made it to my room I fell across the bed and went right to sleep.

When I woke up I grabbed my phone to see what time it is and its 4 pm. I guess I missed breakfast and lunch but I'm starving.

I went and grabbed a shower and got dressed and headed downstairs and there were many faces around the table including Luke.

I walked over to where he was and sit down. "Get some sleep?"

"Yeah, a little bit. I haven't been up long when Chad came and got me for dinner. How about you?" He asked.

"I haven't been up long. Just long enough to shower." I said.

Clara walked over and placed a couple of plates in front of us.

"Thank you, Clara. This looks delicious!" I said looking down at my plate.

"Your welcome sweet girl." She smiled.

"This does look great. Thanks for making me a plate Clara." Luke said.

Clara had made meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, macaroni and cheese, and rolls. Nothing but a bunch of delicious carbs.

"I can't eat like this daily or I will lose my abs," Luke whispered over to me.

It made me giggle and roll my eyes and when I looked up mom was smirking at me. Oh lord, she's going to think something is going on and all I'm doing is just trying to get to know the guy.

Once dinner was over we decided to go check on the animals. I don't know how dad did this all the time by himself.

We have so many animals to look over that it's not even funny. I'm glad someone else did it this morning so we could sleep.

The first stop was to check on the calf and heifer to see how things are going.

Luke grabbed some feed and I was right behind him. I never noticed how tall he was.

"Look." He said as we walked into the stall. Momma and baby were snuggled up asleep.

"Aww wait I have to get a picture," I said grabbing my phone out of my back pocket and lost my balance and tripped over a rake, and almost fell flat on my face.

Luke grabbed me and by the time he caught me, it was like I had been dipped backward for a kiss.

He was staring into my eyes for a minute before he quickly stood me up. "Are you ok Poppy?"

"I'm sorry I'm not sure what come over me but I tripped hardcore." I laughed.

"I'm just glad I caught you or you could have hit your face on that hoe." He said with a straight face.

"Hit my face on a hoe? Really Luke?" I giggled.

"Ok, so that didn't come out right." He laughed.