Love Day

Every morning, Lucian found a lunch sitting just inside the backdoor of his house, there was always a note. Jonah picked him up and he stayed silent at school and just played his part. The happy, popular jock. He looked forward to lunch every day but was too afraid to talk to Gabe again. Gabe never approached him either.

It was February before Gabe even realized it. Time flew by. He stared at Lucian during school and went to the gym after school and on the weekends. He still volunteered at hospice. His life didn't change but his mood did. By Valentine's day, Gabe's least favorite holiday, he was back into his routine and denied missing Lucian. He missed talking to him.

Gabe's dad was actually home and Gabe was shocked. He couldn't remember the last time his dad was home on any day. He always walked in late and men never talked to each other.

His mom told him to keep communications open because guys were bad at talking. She was right. Man, he missed her.

It was a Saturday and Kevin Brown didn't work and apparently had nowhere else to be, for the first time. Gabe never knew where he was anymore. They hardly talked. He missed his dad. He kind of shut down after Gabe's mom died. Hell, they both did. Gabe was playing games in his room when the doorbell rang.

"Uh, Gabe? Maybe come here?" Kevin shouted up the stairs.

Gabe hit pause, jumped down the steps two at a time. He stopped at the door. There was a person at the door. A delivery person, holding two dozen red roses. Gabe took them and read the card.

Gabe, I never truly thanked you for everything you did for me. Thanks.

Gabe stared. It was unsigned. "Who are they from?" Gabe's dad, Kevin, asked.

Gabe stared at the card as the delivery person left. "Uh..." He walked to the kitchen and put them in a vase of water. He smelled them and smiled.

"Let me see the card!" His dad snatched it up and read it. "Who is this? A girl?" Kevin knew his son was gay.

Gabe laughed. "No! Dad, I'm still into guys. This is from a kid from school. He was having a tough time." He paused. His dad nodded. "So, I just helped him for a couple of days but that was in January? We haven't talked in almost a month!" Had it really been four weeks since he talked to Lucian? Where did the time go?

Kevin nodded. "Do I know this kid?"

"I don't know. Mom knew him and probably knew I had a crush on him...before..." (Before she died). He wasn't saying that. He hated pointing out that she was dead. His father had a tough time already.

"I see. Do you have a crush on him?" Kevin smiled.

Gabe sighed. "I don't know. Maybe. We have to hate each other at school."

"You have to?" Kevin stared at his son.

"Yes, he isn't gay or out of the closet? Everyone thinks he's straight and he doesn't know if he's gay. He's questioning, I guess and I'm giving him space. I make lunches for him every day though. I see him smile at me at lunch. I know he likes them." Gabe smiled. He touched the flowers and smelled them again.

Kevin smiled. "Oh, Son, you have it bad!"

Gabe was about to deny it but his phone vibrated and he pulled it out.

Luc: So...?

Gabe smiled. He rushed to his room, forgetting about his dad.

Gabe: Those roses are from you?

Luc: Of course! And how about dinner tonight?

Gabe: Really? You know this is Gabe right? ;)